job/task level metrics via jmx

Marcin

Apr 4, 2017, 8:32:39 AM4/4/17
to gobblin-users
Hi,

it looks like a limited set of metrics is exposed via JMX, namely only the ones related to jvm stuff (such as gc, memory, threads) whereas the job/task level metrics are skipped. Is it done like that on purpose, or we're just missing something?
We use Gobblin for Kafka -> HDFS/HBase ingestion and would like to make use of some of its metrics in our monitoring infrastructure (Prometheus + Kibana).

Cheers,
Marcin

Abhishek Tiwari

Apr 4, 2017, 2:04:35 PM4/4/17
to Marcin, gobblin-users
Hi Marcin,

We are not big on exposing metrics via JMX, but checkout: http://gobblin.readthedocs.io/en/latest/metrics/Gobblin-Metrics/
This outlines various mechanisms you can use to capture metrics being emitted by Gobblin.

Regards,
Abhishek

Marcin

lbe...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2017, 5:17:57 PM4/11/17
to gobblin-users, marcin.s...@gmail.com
Hi Marcin,

Did you try to use the GraphiteReporter along with Prometheus + https://github.com/prometheus/graphite_exporter ?
You only need to map the flat graphite metrics to the multi-dimensional Prometheus ones and scrape from the graphite endpoint.

Thanks,
Lorand