Fwd: Fine for harassment of women at workplace

Prakash Kamat

Aug 27, 2015, 1:20:16 PM8/27/15
to sadgurupatil, Vithaldas Hegde, sagarjawdekar, Mayabhushan, Devika Sequeira, goajourno, Sanjay Dhavalikar, Vijay Desouza, murari.shetye, bindiya2k5, Bharati Pawaskar, Kalika Bapat, Ganesh Javdekar, PUDHARI, Goa Doot, suhasini prabhugaonkar
Delhi, March 19, 2015

The Supreme Court of India laid down formal guidelines for dealing with
sexual harassment at the workplace in the case of Vishakha Vs. State of
Rajasthan. The guidelines clearly state that all workplaces should
constitute a Complaint Committee to deal with complaints of sexual
harassment. Taking forward the Supreme Court guidelines, “Sexual Harassment
of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013”
was enacted which came into force with effect from 9th December 2013.

The Act casts a responsibility on every employer to create an environment
which is free from sexual harassment. Employers are required to organize
workshops and awareness programmes at regular intervals for sensitizing the
employees about the provision of this legislation and display notices
regarding the constitution of Internal Committee, penal consequences of
sexual harassment etc. An employer will be liable to a fine of Rs 50,000/-
in case of violation of his duties under the Act and in case of subsequent
violations, the amount of fine will be double together with penalty in the
form of cancelation of his licence, withdrawal or non-renewal of the
registration required for carrying out his activity.

The Ministry of Women and Child Development had issued advisories to
States/UTs to ensure effective implementation of the Act. The
Ministries/Departments in Government of India have also been advised to
ensure the compliance of the Act.

This information was given by the Union Minister of Women and Child
Development, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi in a written reply to an unstarred
question in the Rajya Sabha today.

PIB/PANAJI/BVP/SRT-H

augusto pinto

Sep 8, 2015, 3:24:57 PM9/8/15
to goaj...@googlegroups.com
I think that the crux of Prakash Kamat's argument is that every journalistic organization, whether print, television or Internet-based,  should have in place a Vishakha committee (or a Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace Commitee) under the “Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013”

Of course he is right.

But how will his opinion prevail? Forget about men: how many women have raised their voice on this issue?
Augusto

Prakash Kamat

Sep 9, 2015, 10:40:51 AM9/9/15
to goaj...@googlegroups.com
Hi Augusto,
I appreciate your argument and genuine concern. But let us not wait
for women to raise their voices to tackle issues of harassment of
women at workplace. Especially in present circumstances where hire and
fire is the rule with contractual system, it is extremely difficult
for people to raise their voices. I would like women journos to join
hands and collectively raise their voices. It will happen, I am sure.

Gary Azavedo

Sep 13, 2015, 2:30:18 PM9/13/15
to goaj...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prakash Kamat,

It ought to happen soon as sooner the better with all media organisations in Goa now opting to hire staff on contract and hardly any bothering to fulfil their obligations of constituting this committee!
It is shocking that not just the major or leading English and vernacular daily newspapers in Goa but even the smaller weekly and monthly publications that are registered with the government have failed to do so with no authority inquiring into this matter.
I have frequently reminded the GUJ about this aspect and I hope that better sense will prevail with notices sent to ALL the registered media publications in the state.
why should the journalists working or employed in these organisations be exempted for not being a mainstream newspaper publication or a GUJ member? Are those working for monthly feature magazines that also earn revenue through government advertisements not to be regarded as journalists because they do not report daily news? What about those women employees now working in the numerous electronic TV channels in Goa? Why should they not be covered under this SC guidelines?
As a former GUJ president, I urge you to raise this issue with sincere committed individuals who will immediately act on this serious concern instead of merely paying lip service to this vital subject.

yours sincerely,
GARY AZAVEDO.