DETAILS FROM Alan Machado's latest book: Discovering India Anew (Orient BlackSwan)

Frederick Noronha

Jul 4, 2024, 6:59:26 PM (12 days ago) Jul 4
to Goa-Research-Net, alan machado
Where does one begin to tell a story that spans many thousands of years, a story whose origins are obscured by stubborn mists that will not lift and enduring myths that will not shift under the weight of ages of telling?
 Discovering India Anew reconstructs the history of Indian peoples, taking off from where the history of Indians really begins: Africa. Exploring their earliest journey out of Africa through the colonisation of South Asia by different genetic groups to the end of South Asia’s first urban civilisation, Harappa, and the arrival of the Indo-Aryans, the author asks a fundamental question: Who are we Indians?
The book draws on fields as diverse as archaeology, archaeobotany, palaeoanthropology, genetics, climatology, historical linguistics and literary sources. Using prehistoric evidence such as rock art and stone tools, the author studies the evolution of Homo sapiens and the dispersal of populations across the globe, against the backdrop of global climate changes.
It discusses the forager-farmer conflict; maps out a linguistic history of India; traces the origin, growth, and decline of the Harappan civilisation and its impact on subsequent Indian history, and brings out the Mesopotamian and Elamite influence in its shaping. Through an anecdotal narrative style, the author artfully weaves together this astonishing story of human grit and opens new windows into our past.
Through the event of the drying up of the Sarasvati River, the book highlights how the narrative told by myth and bias contrasts with the alternate history revealed by modern scientific investigations. This unique book will fascinate scholars and researchers of history as well as the historically inclined, curious reader.
--
FN * +91-9822122436 * 784 Saligao 403511 Bardez Goa
Discovering India Anew F.jpg

Tables.docx
CONTENTS.docx

John Nazareth

Jul 4, 2024, 11:15:22 PM (11 days ago) Jul 4
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com

I had taken part in the Genome Project with National Geographic in 2012.

They sent me a DVD with a full length movie on the peopling of the planet from a DNA perspective.

It was like a detective story.

It showed that my earliest male ancestor came from the rift valley between Uganda and Kenya about 50,000 years ago.

(He was the earliest ancestor of all non-African males in the world.)

I suspect  Alan tapped into that.

Hopefully we will be able to get this book in Canada in some format sometime soon.

John

Joao Paulo Cota

Jul 5, 2024, 8:03:14 AM (11 days ago) Jul 5
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
I wonder how this book compares itself with the Last Prabhu by Dr Bernard de Sousa?
Buy The Last Prabhu: A Hunt for Roots: DNA, Ancient Documents and Migration in Goa by Elvino de Sousa, Bernardo (ISBN: 9781654075330) from Amazon's Book Store. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.

Jul 5, 2024, 8:03:30 AM (11 days ago) Jul 5
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Rico, do you have a copy of this book? I found it very expensive around Rs 1500,- I do not know if Alan received many free copies from the publisher. Would it be possible to borrow your copy for a week of reading and returning? My address: 501 Peters Cote, Balikashrama Road, Kankanady-Mangalore 575002
W R Da Silva

Frederick Noronha

Jul 8, 2024, 8:04:10 PM (8 days ago) Jul 8
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
If you check the table of contents, you'll see that it is dealing with rather different issues.
FN