Nehru Seizes Goa

Debra Nicholson

Jul 6, 2024, 11:56:15 PM (9 days ago) Jul 6
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com

~~~~~~~~~~

Debra Nicholson, MFA, MA
alternate email: dkn...@bgsu.edu

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 6, 2024, at 1:26 PM, Frederick Noronha <frederic...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is what the lawyer-politician Radharao Gracias posted on his Facebook page some days ago. Would anyone know how accurate it is? Though I met Joao Cabral while he was alive (in the late 1990s or early 2000s, not sure), probably others like me might not have been aware of these details. FN
PS: Nehru Seizes India was available online some time ago (full text), but can't seem to locate it now.

<radha-on-1961.png>

On Sat, 6 Jul 2024 at 22:44, John de Figueiredo <john...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
We should celebrate the fact that those four brave Goans, by doing what they did, created a record that we, Goans, have the right to self-determination. Had they not done what they did, those individuals who denied that right to us, Goans, might have turned around and say: “Did you ask for that right? For future reference, you should always ask.” Now they cannot say that.
This is why I consider what happened to us, Goans, as a historical fatality, because we did not exercise that right and because we will never again be able to exercise that right.
I view the Declaration of Self-Determination as the most important document in the history of Goa. I would like to respectfully propose to all my fellow Goans that they should frame that Declaration and hang it on a wall in their houses. I have already done it myself.
John M. de Figueiredo
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 6, 2024, at 9:33 AM, Roland Francis <roland....@gmail.com> wrote:

Historically the letter of protest would have taken much courage and caused repercussion to its signatories, but are you sure it should have been a Day of Joy for Goans?
It made no dent in Salazar’s thinking (although that was Salazar’s fault, not theirs) not was it responsible for the ultimate repeal of that Act, so what is it that we should be celebrating.

Roland Francis
416-453-3371

On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 8:03 AM JOHN DE FIGUEIREDO <john...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Attached is an article that may be of interest.

John M. de Figueiredo