Books on ' Migration '

lucy james

May 29, 2024, 12:08:38 AMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Im looking for books ( fiction/ non fiction) on ' Migration ' with particular reference to Goa/ Goans. Would be grateful if anyone on this could help with titles...
Regards,
Lucy James

fredericknoronha

May 29, 2024, 12:16:26 AMMay 29
to Goa-Research-Net
Hi Lucy, Within India? Or beyond?
In the 1980s and 1990s, there was Peter Nazareth's anthology (a very comprehensive collection) and Teresa Albuquerque's writing on Goans in East Africa (she later wrote on Bombay too). Check out the works of Alan Machado and Gopalakrishna Pai (Goan migration to the South). Braz Menezes' trilogy ended up as a series of five books, dealing with the Goans mainly in Kenya (a fictionalised narrative). Margret Frenz and the XCHR study on Goan migration are fairly comprehensive, and from an academic perspective. Selma Carvalho has written on Goans in the English speaking world and East Africa. Cyprian "Skip" Fernandes has two books on life in Kenya and the musicians and sportspersons of East Africa, respectively. The story of Sita Valles, and the writings on/of Aquino Braganca, and Carolina Costa give us a glimpse of Goan life in Portuguese-ruled Africa, and beyond. There must be other titles I'm missing out here, as am just writing from memory and in a hurry to catch the morning fast train to town! FN

William Robert Da Silva

May 29, 2024, 12:17:15 AMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Goa Uni library and state archives would surely help.
W R Da Silva

sandra lobo

May 29, 2024, 3:02:14 AMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lucy,

There are several works namely by Selma Carvalho, Margret Frenz and Stella Mascarenhas-Keyes. I would defenitely advise you to contact Eduardo  Faleiro. Brenda Coutinho has this study - https://journals.library.brocku.ca/index.php/ijpds/article/download/3267/2520. See also this article by Irene Silveira - Goa to Paris: migration trajectories, settlement struggles, and social networks: South Asian Diaspora: Vol 16 , No 1 - Get Access (tandfonline.com). There are several works focused on migrant communities in the countries of destiny. In addition, there are organizations All depends also whether you want to have a more historical perspective or more focused on the present and, within it by what kind of perspective.

Kind regards,

Sandra

Sandra Ataíde Lobo

.

Home (gieipc-ip.org)                              https://praticasdahistoria.pt/

tmn. ++351 930690459

On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 9:38 AM lucy james <lucylu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Im looking for books ( fiction/ non fiction) on ' Migration ' with particular reference to Goa/ Goans. Would be grateful if anyone on this could help with titles...
> Regards,
> Lucy James

cristiana bastos

May 29, 2024, 6:01:13 AMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
plus one forgotten article by carolin brettel: https://www.academia.edu/15145312/Portugal_s_First_Post_Colonials_Citizenship_Identity_and_the_Repatriation_of_Goans

and a volume that is not just about goa, but has a lot of goa and goans -- including one by rochelle pinto on pio gama pinto: https://ojs.lib.umassd.edu/index.php/plcs/issue/view/PLCS17_18

greetings

Cristiana Bastos
Institute of Social Sciences | University of Lisbon | Av Anibal Bettencourt, 9 | 1600-189 Lisboa, Portugal

Cliff Pereira

May 29, 2024, 3:11:23 PMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
There was a genealogy case study that I did some years ago, which was published in the attached.

I have given talks on the subject of Goan migration to East Africa and its links to British naval and trading expansion in Hong Kong and Italy, but these are not published.

Regards
Cliff

May 29, 2024, 3:11:36 PMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Fred... this is good enough for me to begin..
Regards
Lucy

lucy james

May 29, 2024, 3:11:44 PMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thanks William... I'll look up GU library and the Archives...
Regards,
Lucy

Carvalho

May 29, 2024, 3:12:11 PMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lucy,

In fiction do check out all translated works by the Project Pensando Goa, in particular the translations done by Paulo Melo e Castro, and especially his translation of Vimala Devi's works. There are many 19th century references to Goan migration in these works originally written in Portuguese. Also, do check out the project 'Oral Histories of British-Goans' a four-year project head by me, and archived at the British Library. A similar project is underway in Bombay associated with the writer Jane Borges, documenting Goan migration to Bombay.

All best wishes,
Selma

Cielo Griselda Festino

May 29, 2024, 7:06:13 PMMay 29
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lucy!
See the articles, reviews and literary works in the volume "Goans on the Move" in the link below.

All Best
Cielo

lucy james

May 30, 2024, 4:37:23 AMMay 30
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much Sandra...

Im looking at the historical/ geo-political perspective and grounding it in Theory. Besides economic, I'd like to find out if climate change has also been a factor.

Warm regards,
Lucy

lucy james

May 30, 2024, 4:37:31 AMMay 30
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Cristina..
Warm regards,
Lucy

lucy james

May 30, 2024, 4:37:36 AMMay 30
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com

lucy james

May 30, 2024, 4:37:43 AMMay 30
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Selma...
Warm regards,
Lucy

lucy james

May 30, 2024, 4:37:49 AMMay 30
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com

lucy james

May 30, 2024, 4:37:55 AMMay 30
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Cielo!
Warm regards,
Lucy

Agnelo Fernandes

May 30, 2024, 4:38:16 AMMay 30
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thousands of documents on the topic  are in different archives housing oficial.  documents in Portuguese language for over  four centuries that are to be refferal to.

Carvalho

May 30, 2024, 6:27:43 AMMay 30
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lucy,

Climate change is not yet a factor in Goan migration. It might well be in the decades ahead. Goa has a history of migration dating back to the 19th century when the salt treaty with the British provided the first push factor out of Goa. Then came the pull factors of port towns and a life that was seaborne. By 1926, of the rougly 30,000 sailors registered by the Bombay shipping office, 10,000 were Goans, almost all employed as stewards. The other pull factor is that migration occured in tandem with Indian migration. Goan migration does not exist in isolation, it is always found to co-exist with Indian migration of Parsis, Kutch, Khojah and Baniya settlements.

The next great pull factor was the Arabian gulf migration. It is wrong to assume this was solely because of oil. There were Goan businesses in Muscat dating back to 1880.

Lastly came the new migrations of UK, USA, Australia and Canada. Each of these has a different history to it, which I'm now too lazy to type out by do check out East African displacement post-colonisation and the Portuguese passport.

Take care,
selma

lucy james

May 30, 2024, 11:22:20 PMMay 30