Seeking help in tracing Goa related manuscripts

smita sail

Jun 20, 2024, 12:27:13 PM (10 days ago) Jun 20
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Any form of help regarding the following will be highly valued: Does anyone know of any manuscripts in private possession or held by individuals or institutions, apart from those in the Goa Archives, Central Library, Goa University, and St. Xavier's Research Centre or those cataloged?

Regards
Dr Smita Sail
Chair, Dept of English
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
Mobile:8904632400

Joao Paulo Cota

Jun 20, 2024, 9:08:57 PM (9 days ago) Jun 20
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
There are quite a few institutions in Portugal that have old Portuguese India related documents and they are housed in the right buildings.
  • Museu da Marinha in Lisbon has a wealth of maritime and military related documents
  • Museu Ultramarino in Alcantara (suburbs of Lisbon) has a lot of general government colonial era documents, manuscripts and books
  • Torre to Tombo has more ancient documents
  • One of the large Coimbra libraries has some interesting Goan related publications
Besides there is a large private library mostly related to Goan books held in London, afraid I cannot give out details. It is just beyond belief what books and other publications they have there. Definitely the largest one in the world in private hands.
All I can say is that it is not open to public, it is very private.
Regards.
Joao Paulo

Jun 22, 2024, 6:44:02 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com

Thank you so much for that piece of information, Joao baab.

Frederick Noronha

Jun 22, 2024, 6:54:23 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Try Partagal Matt.
Or any of the old Goa-based trading houses.
FN

Katharina Poggendorf-Kakar

Jun 22, 2024, 6:32:29 PM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
hi smita, what kind of manuscripts are you looking for? regards, Katha

--
Dr. Katharina Poggendorf-Kakar
Pulwaddo Pequeno

Frederick Noronha

Jun 22, 2024, 6:53:52 PM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Two publicly-accessible papers.. one which might be of direct interest to those studying Goa.The other which reminds us of the complexities of language in South Asia, Goa included. In Goa itself, some very rich archives are going unstudied partly because of recent language shifts witnessed here over the past decades and the last century, and also because not enough local studies are happening here. See the attachments below. FN

Historical_Archives_of_Goa_Medical_Licen.pdf
Scripting_the_History_of_Language_Modi_i.pdf

smita sail

Jun 23, 2024, 5:53:13 AM (7 days ago) Jun 23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for that lead! Will try!

smita sail

Jun 23, 2024, 5:53:17 AM (7 days ago) Jun 23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Dear Katharina
Thanks for responding.
Manuscripts in any script would do. Preferably Konkani manuscripts in different scripts.
We are looking for Manuscripts that will help us reconstruct pre-colonial Goan Cultural landscape and also make a comparative study later on of 16th and 17th century. Phase 1 of the project is a mere epistemological survey and Phase 2 will be about examining a d analysing those that will help us with our research.
We have no records of any manuscripts prior to 1520. It will be groundbreaking if we can trace anything that belongs to pre-Portuguese era.

Thank you.
Regards
Smita Sail

John de Figueiredo

Jun 23, 2024, 11:07:47 AM (7 days ago) Jun 23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Hello Smita,
Pre-Portuguese manuscripts were probably written on leaves of banana trees and kept in bundles. If they still exist, you may find them outside Goa in places like Kerala. In Goa itself they are more likely to exist in districts other than Ilhas, Bardez, and Salsete. You have to make sure they are authentic and not apocryphal.
Best wishes,
John M. de Figueiredo
Sent from my iPhone

albe...@sapo.pt

Jun 23, 2024, 11:08:47 AM (7 days ago) Jun 23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com

Smita

Maybe this link will help.

This paper argues that nationalist ideology influenced the writings of Goan elites who joined their Indian counterparts. The latter glorified the pre-modern history, literature, art, and architecture of India as a response to the colonial assertions of its superiority. In the case of Goa, the colonial authorities propounded the concept of Goa Dourada, or golden Goa under Portuguese rule. The local elites countered this concept through ‘Goa Indica’, thus exhibiting the relationship of colonial Goa with colonial India. In the process, the scholars such as Menezes Braganza, Panduranga Pissurlencar, and Adeatado Baretto discussed the contribution of ancient Indians to the field of science and technology. The glorification of ancient Indian science and technology contributed to the rise of ‘pseudo-science’, which is considered a byproduct of the anti-colonial movement. However, the rise of ‘pseudo-science’ was an unavoidable development, particularly in the colonial period. The Goan historians, while reconstructing the history of science, followed their counterparts in British India to show that Goa was a part of India. Scholars were able to achieve national unity in the pre and post-colonial periods by studying science and technology.

William Robert Da Silva

Jun 23, 2024, 11:08:59 AM (7 days ago) Jun 23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you clarify in a write up in which direction you want to go
in Goa and the archives will become relevant with your direction of
work. Have a sufficiently long clarification of the direction of your
work.
With best wishes for your work,
William Robert Da Silva
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/goa-research-net/CA%2BQ-s3tCqoQ5M1zka1wGAop0%3D-6aJDAjBjHjiFgX1UN%3DOKPGCw%40mail.gmail.com.

sandra lobo

Jun 23, 2024, 11:18:19 AM (7 days ago) Jun 23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Dear Smita,

For the colonial period you would also need to investigate in Portuguese libraries and archives, among others the Torre do Tombo and Arquivo Histórico Ultramarino.

Kind wishes,

Sandra

Sandra Ataíde Lobo

Home (gieipc-ip.org)                              https://praticasdahistoria.pt/

tmn. ++351 930690459

Jun 23, 2024, 2:20:18 PM (7 days ago) Jun 23
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Dear Smita,
I am curious about this research of yours.
Sorry to be blunt but has this got to do with the BJP's grand fundamentalist plan to find out which temples were allegedly destroyed by the Portuguese in Goa and then make an agenda to destroy any churches and rebuilt these temples, Ayodhya style?
Too many secret project going on behind people's backs, so it is good to know if that is the ultimate aim of this research.
Kind regards,
Joao Paulo Cota

Sent: 23 June 2024 06:23
To: goa-rese...@googlegroups.com <goa-rese...@googlegroups.com>

smita sail

Jun 24, 2024, 9:38:34 AM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Dear Joao Baab

As a dedicated researcher and academician, I always strive to maintain objectivity and neutrality. My goal is to uncover facts and present them in their most authentic form. I am driven solely by the spirit of research and not by any political agenda. Rest assured of my impartiality.

Thank you, and I sincerely appreciate and share your concern.

I am only trying to take forward my writer-father, Mahableshwar Sail's legacy!

Regards

Smita Sail

smita sail

Jun 24, 2024, 9:38:42 AM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for that information. If the project is sanctioned, we shall have enough funds to explore!

Regards
Smita Sail

smita sail

Jun 24, 2024, 9:38:58 AM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for sharing this article with me.
Regards
Smita Sail

smita sail

Jun 24, 2024, 9:39:07 AM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your response, professor! I will work on that and share it soon. In fact our scope of study will be greatly determined by the kind of manuscripts we can gather.
Regards
Smita Sail

smita sail

Jun 24, 2024, 9:39:13 AM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your helpful response.
Regards
Smita Sail

albe...@sapo.pt

Jun 24, 2024, 9:39:44 AM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com

I am curious about this research of yours…agenda to destroy any churches…..Too many secret project going on behind people's backs,…etc…. Joao Paulo Cota.
This is abject intimidation.

Dear Smita

Beware of the minority Christian extremists - MCE - who abandoned Goa after Liberation. Any research you undertake into the true history of Goa, before the arrival of the pirates, will be considered pro-BJP by them. MCEs prefer lies. Smita, do not be afraid of the work you are doing to uncover the history of the Konkan Coast. These MECs can no longer intimidate the Indian people or the Portuguese people. I am a history teacher in Portugal and as such I strongly advise you to continue your work.
Good luck.
Alberto

----- Mensagem de Joao Paulo Cota <joao...@hotmail.com> ---------
Data: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 17:34:09 +0000
De: Joao Paulo Cota <joao...@hotmail.com>

Joao Paulo Cota

Jun 24, 2024, 12:07:58 PM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr Smita,
Thanks for your explanation.
In this day and age on wonders who is friend or foe.
Good that your work is neutral and not affiliated to any political agenda.
But what is the aim of this work, what are you trying/hoping to uncover? Specially when you are firm on the periods before and soon after the Portuguese landed up in Goa.
That can help others help you.
Regards,
Joao Paulo Cota
(you can skip the 'baab' part, not applicable)

Sent: 24 June 2024 07:32

Joao Paulo Cota

Jun 24, 2024, 12:08:04 PM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to goa-rese...@googlegroups.com
Alberto,
Please stop your BS. This was not abject intimidation, it was a direct question with very valid reasons behind it.
I know what I have written and maybe you are ignorant to what is happening in India, possibly because you live in Portugal and is oblivious of what is going on in present day India with this nationalist fundamentalist wave at the moment.
So if you know nothing about it, please stay away from commenting on something you know nothing about. Best to stick to your history.
I was only concerned about something that is happening at national level, and this period stated 'before and after VDG landed in Goa' does fall under the bracket in question. it fits the anti-Christian and anti-Muslim agenda.
I am not sure about your 'MCE' analysis. Whoever left Goa usually does not get involved with it anymore, for them it is something of the past.
It is for people who are genuinely interested in the future of Goa that are usually concerned about many things going on discreetly behind people's backs.
For your information I am not born in Goa, I was born after the liberation/invasion and so your 'MCE' BS does not apply to me.
JP Cota