22. Plans firm up

Valmiki Faleiro

Jan 15, 2022, 8:57:47 PM1/15/22
to Valmiki Faleiro

22. Plans Firm Up

Following the SS Sabarmati incident on 17 November 1961 and firing on Karwar fishermen on the night of 24/25 November 1961, the Government of India issued definitive instructions to the armed forces on 29 November 1961 to begin preparations for action. The order put HQ Southern Command under Lieutenant General JN Chaudhuri in charge of the action.

India’s 17 Infantry Division would be the Special Task Force for Operation Vijay. Its GOC, Major General MM Khanna, was due to proceed for a course at the UK’s Royal College of Defence Studies. Brigadier KP (“Unni”) Candeth at the Directorate of Artillery at Army HQ was quickly promoted to Major General and appointed GOC 17 Infantry Division.

The Task Force would be deployed less a brigade (with one operational brigade and one reserve brigade) but another brigade would fill in. On the same day, Major General DK Palit, Director Military Operations, left a message for Brigadier Sagat Singh, Commander 50 Independent Parachute Brigade at Agra, to rush to Delhi.

In the words of Major General VK Singh, “Sagat commandeered a Dakota of the Paratroopers' Training School, and was in Palit's office in less than an hour. It was here that he learnt about the planned operation for the liberation of Goa and his own role in it. Later in the day, there was a conference in the office of the Chief of General Staff, General Kaul, where the plans were finalized. ... The Warning Order for the operation was issued [as a flash signal under the signature of Lt Gen BM Kaul, Chief of General Staff] at 1530 hours on 29 November in the form of a ‘Personal For’ signal from the Chief of Army Staff to the Army Commanders, with copies being endorsed to Major General M.M. Khanna and Brigadier Sagat Singh” (History of the Corps of Signals, Volume III, Chapter 3).

Portugal was aware of India's naval deployment as well as plans for ground attack. Portuguese Brigadier António Leitão and the Goa Governor-General, Major General Manuel António Vassalo e Silva himself pleaded with Lisbon for reinforcements: armaments, munitions, transporters, communication equipment. The little that was there was old and obsolete.

To Salazar, there was no war, hence no need of reinforcements.

The Portuguese military command in Goa could only improvise the Plano Sentinela (sentry plan). The plan was to first delay entry of the enemy at the borders, with the use of guerilla tactics if necessary. When aggression could no longer be resisted at the borders, the bridges were to be blown up and the enemy held back on the opposite bank of the rivers. Essence of the plan was to delay enemy advance. Finally, when no longer possible to resist, defenders were to resort to a gradual fallback to the Mormugao peninsula, the last redoubt, and once there, defend it at all costs – until UN intervention arrived.

Portuguese Cavalry Captain (later General) Carlos de Azeredo, who was posted in Goa at the time, said the Sentry plan "was totally unrealistic and unachievable". For the plan to work, "portable communication equipment was necessary. There was none available."

Alluding to the 17 November 1961 event at Anjediva Island, Nehru said on 1 December 1961, “We cannot tolerate such acts. We will take the necessary steps at the right time.” Krishna Menon assured a Goan delegation from Bombay that "force would be used if necessary to liberate Goa at the right time". As we now know, India had already decided to use force in August 1961.

On the same day (1 December 1961), India approved the ground assault plan. It would be a two-pronged attack. 17 Infantry Division less a brigade under GOC Major General (later Lieutenant General and Army Commander) KP Candeth would be the main task force to enter Goa from the east and capture Panjim, Mormugao and other key objectives.

A subsidiary thrust from the north was assigned to the 50 Independent Parachute Brigade under Brigadier (later Lieutenant General and Corps Commander) Sagat Singh, in order to divide Portuguese forces that would otherwise put up a concerted resistance to 17 Infantry Division.

It was the first time that all three arms of India’s defence services – land, water and air – would be used in the ops.

On 2 December 1961, troops began to move to the concentration area (pre-commencement of war position), Belgaum. All were in place by 9 December 1961. D-day (alliteration for ‘day’ of attack) was 14 December 1961.

On 3 December 1961, BBC reported Portugal saying that India planned an invasion of Goa. Police oppression mounted in Goa. Freedom fighter and future labour leader George Vaz cabled Nehru on searches, arrests and torture of freedom fighters in Goa. Thomas Dias (of Ambajim-Margao, brother of Mapusa-based journalist Bonifacio Dias, both freedom fighters and native of Cavelossim) was arrested and badly tortured. This was reported in the 4 December 1961 edition of Hindustan Times. On 5 December 1961, the same newspaper front-paged the headline, Indian Army Build-Up on Goa Border – No Action is Planned.

-- Excerpted from revised text of the book, Patriotism In Action: Goans in India’s Defence Services by Valmiki Faleiro, first published in 2010 by ‘Goa,1556’ (ISBN: 978-93-80739-06-9). Revised edition awaits publication.

Jeanne Hromnik

Jan 16, 2022, 3:55:10 AM1/16/22
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
I'm so liking reading this in excerpt form that I hope Frederick will make a feature of promoting books in this form on this site.
This book is surely a documentary treasure.
xxj

--
*** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***
---

linkenf...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2022, 12:59:06 PM1/17/22
to The Goa Book Club
This is an excellent suggestion and goabookclub seems like the appropriate forum for serialising books that may never ever be read by too many people in the forms (printed book, ebook) they were initially offered in (with specific reference to your humble effort a couple of years ago, present writer!). (Wink emoji here). A parallel column may carry excerpts from books willingly shared by their authors and thus offer a glimpse into stories that may otherwise elude the reading public forever. These features would tie in neatly with the mandate implicit in a books-related website, what say, people? I browsed through a book on a Goa-related theme by a Kolkatta Goan some months ago in the District Library in Navelim and tried to pick it up the other day but couldn't locate it. I had hoped to draw attention to it here, not having seen any reference whatsoever to it in the press, not even from the Sunday columnist  who writes on publishing-related and diaspora matters. (Another wink emoji here!). Right now, for instance, an excerpt en anglais, from Uday Bhembro's novel dealing with the Goa Inquisition, Vhadlem Ghar, may not be out of order, nor, for that matter, a selection or two from Maria Aurora Couto's ouevre. Surely there's a captive audience here of a few dozen readers who would make this a worthwhile initiative?

Frederick Noronha

Jan 17, 2022, 1:03:35 PM1/17/22
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
The first law of volunteering -- be prepared to implement your own suggestion
Linken, could you translate and get permission to carry a chapter or part of Adv Bhembre's fictional work on the Inquisition?
Also, since both Jeanne and Linken have published Goa-related books (one on her father, the other on a daughter among other topics) could you share a chapter or part of it here? If you send it to me, I'd be happy to format and circulate it on this and/or other networks. FN

Jeanne Hromnik

Jan 17, 2022, 3:52:16 PM1/17/22
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but let's wait until Valmiki's excerpts come to a natural conclusion and then execute the next effort as gracefully, with regard to choice of title, the interval between excerpts, length of excerpt etc.
I'd be very happy to submit excerpts from my father's book but I really don't think it's of general interest or of much relevance to Goa.
Xxj

Jeanne Hromnik

Jan 17, 2022, 3:52:21 PM1/17/22
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
P.S As I feel I may have done my father a disservice by saying his book is not of general interest, may I make amends by posting the following link to AwaaZ magazine, which carried an interesting feature on him fairly recently:
xxj

antonio CABA

Jan 18, 2022, 2:33:43 AM1/18/22
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Valmiki bab, hanv tuje “excerpts” ruchin-gostan vachtam. Te kabar zaupache asat koshe dista. Maka punn ek sangshi? Tum hea pustokant “Opinion Poll “ hacher kitem tori boroitolo?
Dev borem korum!
R. Cabral

Valmiki Faleiro

Jan 18, 2022, 3:23:11 AM1/18/22
to Goa Book Club
Antonio CABA/R. Cabral bab, tumkam Dev Borem Korun.
Opinion Poll-acher thoddench shem 10 Outubr 2021 (No. 8, Nehru's Unflinching view On Goa') borailam.
Hi 'series' itlea vegin kabar zaupachi nam.
Hea mukhar, 18/19 Dezembr disan-i Goeam kitem ghoddlem (ani teche mukhar, porinam-- sonsaran, Bharatin ani Goeam) hem boroupachem chintlam ani xevtti, Goenche Kiristanv-achi 'role' hea bhitor kitem asloli, 'anti-national' kai kitem?
Borem magun, v

antonio CABA

Jan 19, 2022, 6:41:25 AM1/19/22
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com