Fwd: [New post] Library Corner in Government Primary and Aided Schools in Goa

Frederick Noronha

Jan 19, 2022, 6:51:53 AM1/19/22
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Bookworm Trust <donot...@wordpress.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 at 14:47
Subject: [New post] Library Corner in Government Primary and Aided Schools in Goa
To: <frederic...@gmail.com>

Nayan Mehrotra posted: "A box full of books coupled with space has the potential to initiate great library experiences. But it cannot be realized without a thoughtful person enabling these experiences and making the space vibrant.  We experienced this potential through library c"

New post on Bookworm Trust

Library Corner in Government Primary and Aided Schools in Goa

by Nayan Mehrotra

A box full of books coupled with space has the potential to initiate great library experiences. But it cannot be realized without a thoughtful person enabling these experiences and making the space vibrant.  We experienced this potential through library corners as part of the Libraries in Schools (LiS) program. We have been providing a curated collection of books for children to engage, browse and borrow. However, this year’s intervention made us reflect on how the box of books can be transformed into a vibrant corner of books to maximize the children’s engagement with books. In order to showcase the collection and increase the circulation of books, we initiated setting up library corners in schools. This was done in a staged manner:

  • Experiencing set-up of library corner by Bookworm team
  • Orientation workshop with selected teachers
  • Library Corner set-up in schools by teachers and support by Bookworm team members

Library Corner and Space

A library corner is not merely a display of books in a corner but it is about identifying a place considering various things - the light, accessibility, and visibility of space. The schools with very little space could also come up with wonderful ways of using a small table to its maximum potential. The walls became an invitation notice while the table displayed a set of collections. It was observed that if a teacher wants to really showcase the collection, they find space, ways, and means of doing it.

Library Corner and Books

Through the act of setting up the display, each teacher engaged with the collection. They may not have read the books but they looked at the cover page, read the blurb, and identified the set of books that they would like to display. For us, this is a big achievement. Some teachers had identified the theme before seeing the collection properly but when they returned to the collection, it made them think deeper on what they could present as a theme.

Library Corner and Children

More than anything, it became a space that children felt attracted to whenever they visited the school. It opened the collection, which was earlier a box, into a display. Even for a short while, an experience with the books has brought joy to the children.

Some of the observations shared by the teachers:

  • Due to the display, higher secondary children get attracted to the display and come and read the books.
  • Children are liking to borrow books and engage with the worksheets.

Library Corner and teacher

The whole experience of the library corner wouldn’t have been as rich if teachers were not part of it. Engaging with them helped us understand where we need to work more, what works well when teachers are engaged with other work, and not to miss how committed teachers are to sharing the books with children. Our direct engagement with teachers through workshop and schools visits have shown us how small movements bring changes. The freedom to choose the space in school, the theme, and the material required to set up the corner led to a beautiful setup by teachers in their schools. But we need to continue our discourse on understanding the collection better and in designing engaging activities, which were challenging for the teachers.

Sharing a few responses from teachers on the library corner

  • It is a good way to display books so that the children can look at the wide variety of the collection carefully and borrow the book.
  • It is a good way to motivate children in reading.
  • After the library display, some of the parents and children are asking for the books. Some parents say that because of the current pandemic it is a good way to motivate the children to read books.
  • Some of the teachers also borrow books to read.

The experience of the library corner has shown that so much possibility exists, we just have to work with commitment and a positive attitude.

Nayan Mehrotra | January 19, 2022 at 2:47 pm | Categories: Libraries in Schools, Library, News | URL: https://wp.me/p4hvhg-5dn

Comment    See all comments

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Bookworm Trust.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

https://www.bookwormgoa.in/2022/01/19/library-corner-in-government-primary-and-aided-schools-in-goa/