TODAY: ‘माती आणि माणसं’ (Mati and Manas)

Frederick Noronha

Apr 17, 2024, 2:35:37 PMApr 17
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
maatianimanse.jpg

The book ‘माती आणि माणसं’ (Mati and Manas), a collection of creative essays by Vinay Bapat, will be released on April 18, 2024 at 11 am in the Conference Hall, Administrative Building of the Goa University.

Mailsuite Sent with Mailsuite  ·  Unsubscribe
18/04/24, 12:03:58 am

Veena Patwardhan

Apr 19, 2024, 7:08:48 AMApr 19
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I had explained the following privately to Frederick regarding the English transliteration of the title of Mr. Vinay Bapat's Marathi book, and he suggested I  share it on this forum as well. So here goes:
Thought I'd point out to you that the Roman script spelling (transliteration) of the word माणसं should be 'Manasa' and not 'Manas' as the pronunciation of the Marathi word is not 'Mahn-Us' but 'Mahn-suh' ('suh' rhyming with 'the). Also माणसं means 'people' in English whereas 'Manas' would be the tranliterated form of the word मानस which means 'mind" in English.  Therefore a correct transliteration of Mr. Bapat's Marathi book title that means The Soil and the People would be Mati ani Manasa and not 'Mati and Manas'.
Hope at least some of you will find this interesting.

Warm regards,
Veena

Veena Patwardhan
Tel: 8108996599
http://www.veenapatwardhan.com

https://www.youtube.com/c/PataCake?sub_confirmation=1

To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.
- Henry David Thoreau
-

--
*** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***
---

Fausto DaCosta

Apr 20, 2024, 6:17:58 AMApr 20
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
AMCHI MATI, AMCHE MONIS
Prolific Konkani writer late Fr. Antonio Pereira, sj used to pen a column with the title in my Konkani-English bi-monthly 'The Goan Review' on prominent Goan personalities.
Fausto