Pauline

Frederick Noronha

Jul 10, 2024, 9:21:22 PM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com, pauline18...@gmail.com, pauli...@gmail.com, paulin...@gmail.com
pauline.jpeg

If you're a serious buyer of Goa books, and a member of the Goa-Book-Club [http://groups.google.com/group/goa-book-club] then you probably know of the two "Pauline" bookshops in Panjim, and one in Mapusa. While on this point, after the closer of the Other India Bookstore, Mapusa has an acute shortage of bookstores!

The Pauline network is run by the Daughters of St Paul. Apart from their religious books, they have a selection of unexpected books, which is what I go there for -- the rare book on Goa that you might not noticed elsewhere. For instance, I came across one on Goan medicinal plants, written in Romi Konkani. There's also a new edition of the age-old Isidore Coelho's The Chef. This was the book my mum learnt her cooking from, as a young bride in the late 1950s. How it is still sold at Rs200-300 (and that too, hardbound), don't ask me!

The Teenager is a very nice magazine for youth, easy to recommend. Now priced at Rs45. It was available when I was in school and college too. Another useful DSP publication is Inspirational Quote, a small sized mag of quotations and inspirational thoughts, now priced at Rs 15 or so. You might also find the rare Goa,1556 book there .... Check it out.

Their email addresses are: pauli...@gmail.com or pauline18...@gmail.com. The first is located at Prema Building, in the Rua de Ourem creekside location. The other is on 18th June Road, near the Bombay Bazaar. FN
--
FN * +91-9822122436 * 784 Saligao 403511 Bardez Goa

Bella Comelo

Jul 18, 2024, 8:43:55 PM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com, pauline18...@gmail.com, pauli...@gmail.com, paulin...@gmail.com
I would recommend Isidore Coelho’s cook to any beginners.  I learnt how to cook from this book.  My late husband gifted it to me some 65 years back.

Bella
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 10, 2024, at 6:21 PM, Frederick Noronha <frederic...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
*** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***
---