List of bookshops ... in Goa

Frederick Noronha

Jun 2, 2024, 5:50:38 AMJun 2
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
VERSION 3

Dear all: I am trying to compile a list of bookshops in Goa. Would be very grateful ifyou could kindly let me know if (i) any are missing on this list (ii) some on this list might be wrongly identified as bookshops, and need to be deleted. Thanks! FN

Mapusa
* Suraj
* Pauline
* PK Dalal & Associates
* The Book Store, Caraswaddo Rd, Mapusa
* Pratap Book Stall
* Desai (Market entrance)
* Reading Planet (Chandranath Apts)
* Janardhan P Bhobe (earlier sold books)
* Shalom (Morod)
* Other India Bookstore (now closed)
* Valex (closed)

Porvorim
* That Book Store, Ln#4, Def Col

Saligao
* Goa,1556 (publishers, by appointment)

Sanquelim
* Trupti Store

Valpoi
* Mehnat

Calangute
* Literati
* Oxford (Cobravaddo)
* Book Palace (GTDC Bldg)
* Taj Book Shop, Baga Road

Panjim
* Broadway
* Rajhauns Vitaran
* Varsha (Azad Maidan)
* Singbal's Book House
* Pauline (18th Jn Rd & Prema Bldg)
* Sardesai Enterprises
* Crossword Bookstores
* Bookworm Library (Mala, sells books too)
* Wisdom Book House (Dr AB Rd)
* Shri Nagesh Book Agency
* Professional Book House
* Goa Law Reporter (Dr DV Marg)
* Book Fair, near Basilio's Enclave, Sta Inez
* Pedro Fdes Music Store (some music books)
* Casa JD Fernandes (formerly sold books)
* Jeevit Bibles (now closed)
* Occasional book sales and by-the-kilo offers

Marcela
* Narvekar Agencies

Sanquelim
* Amonkar Book Stall
* Pednekar Stores

Old Goa
* Old Goa Book Stall (Bom Jesus)

Porvorim
*  Bargain Book Hut (Mall de Goa)

Bicholim
* Savitri Book Agencies

Anjuna
* Manali
* Flying Goat
* Champaca (Mazalvaddo)
* Lotus Eaters (closed)
* Rainbow (Vagator)

Arpora
* Starmark (Silvana Mall, Arpora)

Arambol
Vishwa Book Shop
Khajuraho Kama Book Shop

Margao
* Confidant / Golden Heart Emporium
* The DogEars Bookshop
* Light House, Fr Miranda Rd
* New Life Books (Aquem)
* David & Co (stores few books)
* Impact Books
* Naik News Agency, Navelim

Quepem
* Star Book Stall

Ponda
* Universal Traders
* Nalanda Books & Crafts Combine
* Bookmate
* Ameya Book agency, Ponda
* Booknest, Cacora

Vasco
* National Book Depot
* Kamaxi Book House
* Bookland
* Saras Book Stall
* Rajaanjith

Mobile
* Faheem Ahmed's mobile book bus

Also smaller book stalls at railway stations (Pernem, Margao, &c)

PS: There was one named  T.G.Borkar near Pimpalkhata.... next to Adolfo Traders in Margao.  What about Zito Almeida in Margao?

Gilbert Lawrence

Jun 2, 2024, 7:22:00 AMJun 2
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com

This long list of books shops across Goa heartens me.  Obviously, these people are in business and so this list reflects the marketplace of readers wanting to buy books and read them.

My concern is: Are Goan authors providing "News that the readers can use?"
Authors getting together to dialog about books: Is this a modern version of a balcao chat?
Are authors analyzing a problem and putting forth ideas to solve them, other than merely criticize govt & politicians?

Regards, GL

--
*** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***
---

Frederick FN Noronha

Jun 2, 2024, 7:27:23 AMJun 2
to The Goa Book Club
All the bookshops aren't active.
Some are stationery shops, but listed as "bookshops" in online directories.
Hence, my attempt to get feedback from the ground.
Some were very active in the past.
We lost a few good bookstores recently -- OIBS (Mapusa), Fidalgo's bookshop, Mandovi's excellent bookshop with a good selection always. Calangute, a major tourist destination, also had bookshops in the past (besides the excellent Literati, which is located somewhat away from the busy streets).
Also, most of the bookshops might stock only a few books published within Goa. Naturally, it has to be worth their while to read this. Also, preferred reading languages vary from region to region in Goa.
We need to support our local, independent bookshops and highlight their existence.
As far as books go, authors and publishers focus on themes and topics of their choice. This is why some books sell faster and others only very slowly. But that is a choice of the author/publisher. As Leonard pointed out during the World Book Day (Apr 23) publishers' online meeting, there is so little non-fiction publishing (and knowledge-creation) happening in non-English languages in Goa. Such issues perhaps need to be highlighted and addressed.
FN

Gilbert Lawrence

Jun 2, 2024, 12:36:05 PMJun 2
to The Goa Book Club

As Leonard pointed out during the World Book Day (Apr 23) publishers' online meeting, there is so little non-fiction publishing (and knowledge-creation) happening in non-English languages in Goa. Such issues perhaps need to be highlighted and addressed.

Response:

This would suggest that there is room for translators.
This could be a lucrative endeavor

Regards, GL