Becoming Goan: Michelle Mendonca Bambawale in conversation with Selma Carvalho

Selma Carvalho

May 26, 2024, 1:39:24 AMMay 26
to The Third Thursday Goa Book Club, Goa Writers
Folks in London please do come for what promises to be a riveting event. Michelle Mendonca Bambawale, author of the book 'Becoming Goan' published by Penguin India, and I have both spent our lives in the Goan diaspora and have called several continents home. Between the two of us, we've inhabited Bangkok, Dubai, London and America, and have Goa as the bond that holds it all together. We will be discussing issues of Goan identity, how it is informed and conceptualised, the concept of outsiders vs insiders, and the challenges facing Goa today. Event to be held at Nehru Centre London, WIK IHF. Doors open at 6pm. Event starts at 6:45pm.

All best wishes,
Selma Carvalho

Eugene Correia

May 26, 2024, 7:04:00 AMMay 26
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Once born a Goan, always a Goan. Rediscovering one's roots is another way of firming up one's Goan. I don't think identity can be washed away totally. A stain will remain, however invisible it may be.
Having read the book, Michelle's coming home and settling back in Siolim isn't really a "rediscovery", as I feel so. World-weary may be one of the reasons, aligned with raking possession of a house that holds growing-up memories.
On the other hand, there is another book that explores the feelings of being not just a Goan by birth, but finding oneself transplanted into Goan soil. Ways of Belonging is another book in which writers explore and reflect how best to fit in.
Eugene Correia

--
*** Please be polite and on-topic in your posts. ***
---

Jeanne Hromnik

May 26, 2024, 3:41:26 PMMay 26
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
You can take the Goan out of Goa but you can't take Goa out of the Goan.
I've found this to be true, distant as I am from Goa.
Great going Michelle and Selma. Wonderful focal point for London Goans and interested persons who can make this event, incl some of my school friends, I hope, from Kenya, now living in the UK (how distant from Mayfair I'm not sure, but it may be easier to get around in London than in Goa!).
Xxj

Eugene Correia

May 26, 2024, 3:41:33 PMMay 26
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for mistakes. Wrote on mobile with one finger typing. Now on laptop. WiFi is "iffi" in Goa, here now, gone a little later.
Now to elaborate further on the "Becoming Goan" theme, I was dismissed as a "niz Goan" by a well-educated person. I asked him why and he replied because I was born in Bombay. He, however, said my dad was "Goan", through and through as he was born during the Portuguese regime.
Erecting walls for no reason. Maybe vanity. When I first moved to Canada, I often heard the term "Afrikar', often said in a derogatory term. Some even asked if I migrated from Africa. I couldn't understand why this attitude on the part of many Goa-based or India-based Goans turned Canadians.
There was a wave some years ago in Goa to dismiss outsiders as "bhailo", and earlier to this word, it was "bingtam" (seeds). Now these "baile" people can write another book (Fred, take note) on how they became "Goan", and what the land now means to them.
The term "chediwalle" was also used against these outsiders.
Re-reading Sorrowing Lies My Land, it seems the trend prevailed during Portuguese times. High-caste Goans proudly maintained that they are Portuguese and spoke the language with pride. Now the trend is to speak English, and pronounce words in Ingliesh fashion. Konkani is out of the doors in many Goan households. For the last few months of my stay in Goa, I have gone to many homes. I insist on talking in Konkani, and it gives me a "sense of belonging." I have bought some in Konkani, including a dictionary, though I am not sure if I will get to use it once I am back in Canada in a week or so.
I am not trying to "fit in", and I feel I am more Goan in ways that those resident here. When I call someone the person breaks out in English, and I am taken aback to respond in Konkani. This dilemma will continue in Goa, as I see it. Change is good, but so is keep up the tradition of language and customs. Heritage matters more than just "fitting in".
Eugene Correia

Jeanne Hromnik

May 27, 2024, 6:21:58 AMMay 27
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
Frederick, I'm confused by the addresses in Selma's original email in this thread -- The Third Thursday Goa Book Club (GBC address), reply to Goa Writers address). Eugene's first response on this thread was addressed to Goa Writers in my inbox, but has since changed to GBC.
I assume that all other posts went to GBC? I thought I was writing to GW members!
Thanks
Jeanne

Frederick Noronha

May 27, 2024, 6:25:11 AMMay 27
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
If the same message is posted to more then one list, the threads could get mixed.
You need to check whom you're 'replying to".
If you reply-to Goa-Book-Club, it will go there.
And if you reply-to GoaWriters2, it will go there.
FN

Jeanne Hromnik

May 28, 2024, 6:05:29 AMMay 28
to goa-bo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to be careful -- I'm used to simply clicking the reply button and assuming it will go to the address at the point of origin of the thread. (Selma's message went to Goa Writers2, Eugene's response went to GW2, but mine went to GBC!)
Many thanks
Jeanne