Re: Plan 9 Go Port

Anthony Martin

Nov 14, 2013, 5:46:46 PM11/14/13
to go-p...@googlegroups.com, m4dh...@gmail.com, misc...@offblast.org, ar...@mgk.ro, lucio...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com, devon...@gmail.com, se...@mail.nanosouffle.net
Christopher Nielsen <m4dh...@gmail.com> once said:
> Hi Anthony and Nick,
>
> It appears we have until the end of the 1.3 release cycle to get the
> Plan 9 port stable and functioning. I am willing to throw some time
> into it, and I can host the builder. Do you have any pending CLs
> and/or time to put into it?
>
> I'd like to see it stay in the tree.
> Thoughts?

[cc +aram +lucio +jeremy +dho +akshat]

Let's do it.

Thanks again, Chris, for offering to host the builder.

Would it be possible for someone to get me an account on
a relatively fast Plan 9 machine? I'd really appreciate
it. I had to get rid of a lot of equipment and no longer
have access to a non-virtualized Plan 9 machine.

Here's what I will work on:
- fixing signals
- making sure the runtime is solid

Please chime in if there's other things that need attention.

I've created a go-plan9 mailing list where we can discuss
and work at our own pace before sending CLs to golang-dev.

https://groups.google.com/group/go-plan9

Should I also create a clone of the main repository?

In any case, we should get the builder running ASAP even
if it's always failing tests.

Cheers,
Anthony

Aram Hăvărneanu

Nov 14, 2013, 6:17:58 PM11/14/13
to m4dh4tt3r, Devon H. O'Dell, Anthony Martin, go-plan9, Nick Owens, Lucio De Re, jeremyjackins, Akshat Kumar
> I don't have any big iron to run the builder on. It's just a spare
> laptop. If someone has something better, I am happy to acquiesce. I
> have a builder key that Brad Fitzpatrick gave me, and I am happy to
> pass that along.
>
> Also, the timeouts weren't due to the machine. It was due to the
> brokenness of the port.

Very cool, I am looking forward to fixing the port.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

Lucio De Re

Nov 14, 2013, 10:25:21 PM11/14/13
to go-p...@googlegroups.com, m4dh...@gmail.com, misc...@offblast.org, ar...@mgk.ro, lucio...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com, devon...@gmail.com, se...@mail.nanosouffle.net
For now, thanks will have to suffice.  But I'm right with you, Anthony, and with anyone else who can help push this project forward.

Lucio.

Lucio De Re

Nov 15, 2013, 12:45:49 AM11/15/13
to Jeremy Jackins, go-p...@googlegroups.com, m4dh...@gmail.com, misc...@offblast.org, ar...@mgk.ro, devon...@gmail.com, se...@mail.nanosouffle.net
I don't think it could possibly hurt to have more than one. But in my
experience it seems one needs quite a bit of performance in a builder,
so a Pentium 4 may be underpowered. Still, no harm in trying.

Lucio.

On 11/15/13, Jeremy Jackins <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an oldish pentium 4 machine that could be a dedicated builder,
> if that's helpful...

Lucio De Re

Nov 15, 2013, 3:47:26 AM11/15/13
to Nick Owens, go-p...@googlegroups.com, m4dh...@gmail.com, ar...@mgk.ro, jeremy...@gmail.com, devon...@gmail.com, se...@mail.nanosouffle.net
This is the type of response I'm very pleased to elicit. Both
technical issues and political ones need to be in the open to make
sure we don't drive down a dead-end road, so I'd like to encourage
matching skills to the various tasks, so we have some idea of what
progress is possible.

I know that Anthony has added massive value to the project and I doubt
anyone else will catch up for a while, I'd like to know where he is at
and whether he'd like some help taking things further. I am under the
impression that he's had other pressures and perhaps he'd like others
to volunteer to relieve him. I know I was reluctant to take the 9vx
stuff off his shoulders, but now that much time has passed and I am
not as frantic, maybe I can help there.

This is not intended to be a comprehensive list, there is much going
on that I am not familiar with or even aware of and I hate making a
fool of myself. Gorka and I were doing moderately well with the ARM
port, but I was distracted and I'm sure Gorka had his own issues to
attend to. I'd like to go back there, but it will take me a few weeks
to get back in some sort of sync, so I'd rather leave this for a while
and focus on the 386 port for now, chase away the threat of having the
distribution dropped.

At the same time, I would like to encourage forsyth to push ahead with
the fix for 5c that allows switch labels to be vlongs, as that is a
real thorn. If somebody can help him, we'd all benefit.

I would also very much like a list of Plan 9-specific packages, I know
that good work has been done in that direction, but it's hard to
locate: this could easily cause duplication, something that detracts
from the availability of resources and may give rise to conflict.

I can't think of anything else, but I'm sure there is plenty more that
can be contributed. My thinking at one stage was to use the Go Issue
Tracker and I know that the Go Team would be OK with that as long as
we label the issues clearly as Plan 9 specific. But maybe we need an
issue tracker of our own?

Lucio.

On 11/15/13, Nick Owens <misc...@offblast.org> wrote:
> first off, this is awesome. i figured something like this might happen
> once 1.2 got pushed out the door.
>
> second, i would happily offer a builder machine, although all my systems
> run 9front and the servers i have access to run KVM. i have access to a
> ganeti installation at iocoop in the south bay area that could be used,
> and if necessary i can install bell labs' distribution.
>
> some trouble points that come to mind -
>
> - signal handling (especially writing to closed pipes, which is
> unhandled)
> - os api is very poor, checks certain filesystems errors by string
> comparisons
> - bootstrap uses system libbio, which requires patching to have the
> same functionality as go's libbio
> - sse instructions still seem to be a problem, i just disable calling
> cpuid alltogether.
>
> i can elaborate further on the ml.
>
> nick

David du Colombier

Dec 2, 2013, 4:56:08 AM12/2/13
to go-p...@googlegroups.com, m4dh...@gmail.com, misc...@offblast.org, ar...@mgk.ro, lucio...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com, devon...@gmail.com, se...@mail.nanosouffle.net
Your plan sounds good.

Are you still seeking for a builder?

In my side, I've set up a Go builder in March, which is still up and running. The machine is a slow Celeron-M 600 MHz, but, as Rob noted, it's still faster than a Raspberry Pi.
It's running Plan 9 from Bell Labs, updated nightly. I think the Go builder is running fine, at least to the point of displaying "invalid key". Anyone working on the Go port could ask for an account on it.

If you are interested, you just have to send me a build key.

--
David du Colombier

David du Colombier

Dec 2, 2013, 3:11:32 PM12/2/13
to go-p...@googlegroups.com
Chris and Lucio kindly offered their build keys. The builder is now running properly and publishing the results on build.golang.org.

Thank you all.

--
David du Colombier

Jeremy Jackins

Dec 2, 2013, 3:17:55 PM12/2/13
to David du Colombier, go-p...@googlegroups.com
That's great news! Thanks David.

Anthony Martin

Dec 2, 2013, 8:13:24 PM12/2/13
David du Colombier <0in...@gmail.com> once said:
> Chris and Lucio kindly offered their build keys. The builder is now running
> properly and publishing the results on build.golang.org.
>
> Thank you all.

Great! Thanks David.

Can you please add this builder's information to the wiki?
https://code.google.com/p/go-wiki/wiki/DashboardBuilders

You'll have to get one of the Go team members to give you
permission to edit the wiki.

Alternatively, you could describe the machine here and I
can add it to the wiki.

Thanks,
Anthony

P.S. Any chance I can get an account on this
machine?

Lucio De Re

Dec 2, 2013, 11:15:16 PM12/2/13
to go-p...@googlegroups.com, David du Colombier
The names seem alphabetical, but openbsd occurs before netbsd.  Any idea why?

Lucio.

David du Colombier

Dec 3, 2013, 12:46:28 AM12/3/13
to go-p...@googlegroups.com
I've just created an account for Anthony Martin on the Go builder.

Any people willing to participate to the Go effort could ask
for an account on it.

--
David du Colombier