Semantics of the .lock extension on UNIX

Adrian Lanzafame

Sep 7, 2017, 9:00:00 PM9/7/17
to Sam Boyer, Go Package Management
Hi All,

This issue (https://github.com/bundler/bundler/issues/694) was raised with Bundler a while ago but has made its way into the 2.0 release (https://depfu.com/blog/2017/09/06/gemfiles-new-clothes). I wasn’t aware of such semantics to the .lock extension but I am a mere youth in the *nix world, so my ignorance doesn’t signify much. I am not sure if it is too late to change the Gopkg.lock filename, but thought it better to raise regardless.

Cheers,

Adrian

Dave Cheney

Sep 7, 2017, 9:02:09 PM9/7/17
to Adrian Lanzafame, Sam Boyer, Go Package Management
I recommend raising this directly on https://github.com/golang/dep

Sam Boyer

Sep 10, 2017, 7:12:43 PM9/10/17
to Go Package Management
ugh. yeah. i wish we'd been aware of the potential issues with .lock as an extension before we made our decision.

we've got an issue for this now - https://github.com/golang/dep/issues/1139