Agent Not picking up External Pipeline with Secrets

Evan Tatay-Hinds

Dec 1, 2022, 12:36:37 PM12/1/22
to go-cd
I have this pipeline stored in my github repo

https://github.com/gaurdianaq/astrojs-highscore-website/blob/main/deploy_highscore_site.gocd.yaml

The pipeline runs fine if I remove the secrets from it, but for some reason it just hangs and doesn't get picked up by the agent. When the secrets were invalid it would throw an error, so I know it is trying to resolve the secrets. I'm using the file based secrets plugin. I ensured that the secrets are usable on all resources.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm still new to GoCD but I've hit a bit of a brick wall with this and haven't been able to find anything in the documentation so far.

Chad Wilson

Dec 2, 2022, 10:22:48 AM12/2/22
to go...@googlegroups.com
Could you take a look at the server logs and/or the plugin-specific log and see if any errors are being reported there that aren't making their way to the UI?

If not, you could try https://github.com/gocd/gocd-file-based-secrets-plugin#enable-debug-logs to get more detailed logging of what is going on, perhaps.

Does the job get assigned to an agent but not started? Or stuck even before that?

-Chad

Evan Tatay-Hinds

Dec 2, 2022, 11:01:12 PM12/2/22
to go-cd
It does not get assigned to an agent. I'll look into the logging next time I boot it up

Chad Wilson

Dec 2, 2022, 11:42:37 PM12/2/22
to go...@googlegroups.com
Ok, that probably means there is some unexpected issue trying to prepare the job with the unencrypted secrets for dispatching to the agent.

Hope the logs help, but obviously not ideal that there are no obvious errors elsewhere. If we figure out the root cause we can perhaps see if it can be better handled.

Evan Tatay-Hinds

Dec 3, 2022, 11:21:00 AM12/3/22
to go-cd
I'm a dork who misunderstood how the secrets management plugin worked, my file was invalid because I was using unencrypted values and it was throwing a bad cipher error, I generated the secrets file with the cli tool and now it works

Evan Tatay-Hinds

Dec 3, 2022, 11:21:45 AM12/3/22
to go-cd
greatly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, thanks.

Chad Wilson

Dec 3, 2022, 11:24:31 AM12/3/22
to go...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear you've got it working! :-)