Okta OAuth Authorization plugin issue

Ryan Maltres

Mar 28, 2023, 6:05:53 AM3/28/23
to go-cd
Hello,

I'm encountering the below issue when I input the correct Okta Endpoint, OAuth Client ID and OAuth Client Secret. Also, access seems to be fine from container to okta. (GoCD Version: 22.3.0)

"There was a problem fetching Authorization Configurations
Refresh this page in some time, and if the problem persists, check the server logs."

At that point, the user interface becomes non-responsive and ceases to function, displaying ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE in Chrome, and it remains inaccessible until I manually delete the <security> tag from within the cruise-config.xml file.

From log file:
2023-03-28 09:12:34,883 INFO  [Thread-79] DefaultPluginJarChangeListener:67 - Plugin load starting: /go-working-dir/plugins/external/okta-oauth-authorization-plugin-1.1.0-8.jar
2023-03-28 09:12:35,266 WARN  [Thread-79] PluginSettingsMetadataLoader:63 - Failed to fetch plugin settings metadata for plugin cd.go.authorization.okta. Maybe the plugin does not implement plugin settings and view?
2023-03-28 09:12:35,267 WARN  [Thread-79] PluginSettingsMetadataLoader:64 - Plugin: cd.go.authorization.okta - Metadata load info: [{extension='authorization', configuration='null', view='null', error='The plugin sent a null response'}]
2023-03-28 09:12:35,268 WARN  [Thread-79] PluginSettingsMetadataLoader:65 - Not all plugins are required to implement the request above. This error may be safe to ignore.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Chad Wilson

Mar 28, 2023, 12:56:01 PM3/28/23
to go...@googlegroups.com
Please check the plugin specific log file, and be a bit more specific about what you are populating and clicking, and the associated HTTP responses from the browser.

If it's getting an empty response upon saving a new config it may just be a 401/403 because with the added configuration you are now considered unauthorized even though you previously had a valid session. Refreshing manually or using an incognito tab would likely leavd you loggee out if that is the case - and then allow you to attempt an Okta auth. If this is the only authorization config you have enabled $that is more likely than not.

-Chad

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Chad Wilson

Apr 4, 2023, 12:00:37 AM4/4/23
to go...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, there's not much in the logs to go on there but I am guessing some sort of misconfiguration combined with a bug/suboptimal error handling somewhere :-(

Can you share the specific request that is hanging from your browser network tab when trying a fresh login i.e which GoCD API/endpoint? Not sure it's related, but iIn other things to check, can you check that your server Site URL and Secure Site URL are configured correctly in https://<gocd url>/go/admin/config/server (especially the Secure one)? Generally these would need to match at least the protocol://host:port that you've configured on Okta.

-Chad

On Mon, Apr 3, 2023 at 5:03 PM Ryan Maltres <ryan.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
As you correctly said, after I save the authorization configuration I get "You are not authenticated" 401 http response.

However, when I open an incognito window nothing will load, request times out and browser returns an empty response. (Access is enabled)

If I have been granted access to Okta as a user, I should be able to view the Okta authentication page at the minimum.

GoCD Okta plugin log:
  • WARN  [Thread-79] OktaPlugin:97 - Request go.plugin-settings.get-configuration is not supported by plugin

GoCD Okta authorization configuration:
  • API Issuer: https://<okta url>/oauth2/default
  • Client ID & Secret ID

Okta settings: