Dojofile does not exist error when following "Use docker image" dev env doc

Tina Boyce

Aug 7, 2024, 7:23:52 AMAug 7
to go-cd
I tried to follow the "User docker image" guide but ended up receiving a "Config file does not exist: Dojofile" error? Is there a step I was missing here?

Steps:
  1. Followed this link: https://developer.gocd.org/current/#use-docker-image which lead to this https://github.com/kudulab/docker-gocd-dojo?tab=readme-ov-file#usage
  2. Attempt to run `dojo` results in the following error:
    ➜  gocd git:(master) dojo
    2024/08/07 20:29:04 [ 1] DEBUG: (main.getFileConfig) Config file does not exist: Dojofile
    2024/08/07 20:29:04 [ 1] ERROR: (main.handleConfig) Invalid configuration, DockerImage is unset

Chad Wilson

Aug 7, 2024, 8:17:30 AMAug 7
to go...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, sorry, probably my bad. I deleted the Dojofile because it was not maintained, and I do not personally know/use Dojo (nor does anyone else that does is currently helping to maintain GoCD).

But did not realise that https://github.com/kudulab/docker-gocd-dojo was pointing to a Dockerfile in the main GoCD repo which then has a circular reference back to that other repo.

You can see what that file looked like at https://github.com/gocd/gocd/commit/f781174615857753767711fdc9a762fbf1b0ee2a however
- close to zero chance it is still working with current GoCD master (4 years old)
- it's not built for arm64 so will be horrifically slow on Apple Silicon (if relevant)
- image uses an EOL Centos 8

I'll remove the reference from developer.gocd.org since the dojo image appears unmaintained now.

If you are looking for an "opinionated" container image with tools pre-installed that is still maintained you could directly use https://hub.docker.com/r/gocddev/gocd-dev-build/tags?page=&page_size=&ordering=&name=centos

docker run -it gocddev/gocd-dev-build:centos-9-v3.17.18 bash -l

Personally I just use brew+mise to manage tools locally, as I dont like the overhead from running in a container on MacOS.

-Chad