No Gnus v0.4 from CVS: very slow: nnimap: Updating info for <group>

Chris Shenton

May 19, 2005, 12:27:59 PM5/19/05
I've installed gnus from CVS, it says "No Gnus v.04". Emacs is 21.3.1
on FreeBSD-4.11-STABLE).

Gnus gets mail from a courier IMAP server. It's now become so slow
getting mail that it's unusable. (Reading the same server with Mozilla
Mail or OSX Mail is fast so I don't believe the problem's with the
server).

When I first start it up, it says something about checking news and
getting a list of mailboxes from the server. Then for what appears to
be every one of the mailboxes (IMAP folders) on the server, it says
something like:

nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+NewHrose:INBOX:list.courier-users...done

It seems to take about 5 seconds for each of these, and I have over a
hundred IMAP folders. So it takes an unacceptable time to get to read
my mail -- like 15 minutes just to get to the *Group* buffer.

In the past, I've seen this happen when I used "g" in the *Group*
buffer to get mail, but not all the time. Doing a "R" to restart Gnus
has seemed to help. Now it appears to be happening both at startup
and when I do a "g" or "R".

I also just noticed a second, and a third message about that same
"list.courier-users" folder. I see it happening with other folders
too. That seems very suspicious.

Below are what I hope to be the relevant bits of my .gnus.el file.
Any clues as to what's going on and how I can fix it? Google shows me
some discussion on this between Tibor Simko, Kai Grossjohann, and
Simon Josefsson but that's from vintage 1999.

Thanks for your help.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil)) ;HQ has no news server
(setq
gnus-secondary-select-methods
'(
(nnml "") ;pop, files
(nnimap "NewHorse"
(nnimap-address "newhorse.hq.nasa.gov")
(nnimap-stream network) ; cleartext: debug disconnects
);nnimap
)
)

(setq
mail-sources
'(
(maildir :plugged t) ; qmail ~/Maildir/ default
(file :path "/home/cshenton/Mailbox"
:plugged t ; qmail mbox (NOT maildir)
);file
)
)

(setq ; Splitting
nnimap-split-crosspost nil ; unduped freebsd articles? first match
nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX")
nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED" ; default = UNSEEN UNDELETED
nnimap-split-fancy nil
nnimap-split-download-body nil ; default = 'default = nil for now
nnimap-split-rule
'( ;unmatched msgs stay in INBOX
;; [split rules elided]...
);;setq

(setq
gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-randomly ; top insert
gnus-read-active-file 'some ;some: only read relevant ACTIVE
gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server ;OK: nntp "NEWSGROUPS Date Time"
gnus-options-not-subscribe "^alt\\.\\|\\.sports\\.\\|^soc\\."
gnus-auto-select-first nil ; don't show first message until I say
gnus-group-use-permanent-levels t ; reuse level prefix on g, l
gnus-keep-same-level t ; don't automove to lower-level group
gnus-save-duplicate-list t ; Save between sessions
gnus-suppress-duplicates t ;based on Message-ID
gnus-show-mime t ; all the time / manually request
gnus-strict-mime t ; only with Mime-Version?
gnus-view-pseudo-asynchronously t ; don't make Gnus wait
gnus-vew-pseudos 'not-confirm ; no summary buffer insert; 'automatic
gnus-view-pseudos-separately t ; create pseudo articles for viewing
bbdb/gnus-summary-mark-known-posters t ;can't make work??
gnus-score-find-score-files-function '(gnus-score-find-bnews bbdb/gnus-score)
nnmail-use-long-file-names nil ;hierarchies
nnmail-expiry-wait 7 ;days; see group param total-expire
)

David Abrahams

May 19, 2005, 8:15:52 PM5/19/05
Chris Shenton <ch...@shenton.org> writes:

> Gnus gets mail from a courier IMAP server. It's now become so slow
> getting mail that it's unusable. (Reading the same server with Mozilla
> Mail or OSX Mail is fast so I don't believe the problem's with the
> server).
>
> When I first start it up, it says something about checking news and
> getting a list of mailboxes from the server. Then for what appears to
> be every one of the mailboxes (IMAP folders) on the server, it says
> something like:
>
> nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+NewHrose:INBOX:list.courier-users...done
>
> It seems to take about 5 seconds for each of these, and I have over a
> hundred IMAP folders. So it takes an unacceptable time to get to read
> my mail -- like 15 minutes just to get to the *Group* buffer.

I have a similar issue here. The message, for each mailbox, is
something like:

Mailbox Foo modified

Takes a frustratingly long amount of time. I tend not to quit Gnus
all day for that reason :(

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Chris Shenton

May 20, 2005, 10:49:37 AM5/20/05
to di...@gnus.org
David Abrahams <da...@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> I have a similar issue here. The message, for each mailbox, is
> something like:
>
> Mailbox Foo modified
>
> Takes a frustratingly long amount of time. I tend not to quit Gnus
> all day for that reason :(

I see that at startup: it seems to say that for each group I have.
It's pretty quick though. It's after that that, for me, it takes
something like 15 minutes to say the "updating info" stuff. And that
happens each time I go a "g" to get news, so keeping Gnus open doesn't
help me with the speed at all. :-(