Question Regarding Symbols

aditya

Mar 17, 2006, 9:21:23 PM3/17/06
to gnuplot-context
Hi,
Just wondering what was the reason to choose the symbols bullet, star,
circle from context rather than `draw' then in metapost. How about an
approach like this

If I want to draw lines with symbols, then a metapost function is
called, say
draw_symbol(x,y,n) where x,y are position coordinates and n is the
number coorinate. draw_symbol calls

draw symbol[n] shifted (x,y)

where symbol is an array of pictures containing the symbols. The
pictures can be btex $bullet$ etex etc if needed, but I think that
drawing them in metapost will be easier to manage. If someone wants to
override the defaults, something like

symbol[2] = fullcircle scaled 2bp ;

should work.

Aditya
PS: I have not tested anything here, am just thinking out aloud.

Hans Hagen

Mar 20, 2006, 3:40:37 AM3/20/06
to gnuplot...@googlegroups.com
aditya wrote:
> Hi,
> Just wondering what was the reason to choose the symbols bullet, star,
> circle from context rather than `draw' then in metapost. How about an
> approach like this

characters may take less code and render better on screens

Hans