gnumap 3.0.2 compilation problem: -Bstatic error from gcc compiler

wolf...@g.ucla.edu

Oct 29, 2013, 11:53:31 AM10/29/13
to gnumap...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'm running into a problem compiling gnumap on two different computers running different versions of OS X and with different GCC compilers.  I downloaded version 3.0.2 of gnumap from <http://dna.cs.byu.edu/gnumap/download.cgi>.  The two versions of GCC and the OS versions are:

1) GCC 4.8.0 20120603 (experimental) on OS X 10.7.5
2) GCC 4.6.0 run in OS X 10.6.8

The error message was:

"
g++ -m64 -O3 -o bin/gnumap-plain obj/Driver.o obj/centers.o obj/bin_seq.o obj/Reader.o obj/SeqReader.o obj/GenomeMem.o obj/NormalScoredSeq.o obj/BSScoredSeq.o obj/SNPScoredSeq.o -Iinc/ -Ilib/gsl-1.14/ -dynamic -lpthread -Llib/lib -Wl,-Bstatic -lgsl -lgslcblas -Wl,-Bdynamic
ld: unknown option: -Bstatic
make: *** [bin/gnumap-plain] Error 1
"

I followed the installation instructions, e.g. uncompressed the .tgz file, cd'd into the gnumap directory, and ran make.

The message seems clear to me, i.e. -Bstatic isn't a valid option for the compiler.  I've done some googling and didn't come across an answer to my question specific to gnumap, so I'm posting this on the gnumap-users group. Any thoughts on what's going on would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jeff

Nathan Clement

Oct 29, 2013, 7:04:17 PM10/29/13
to gnumap...@googlegroups.com
On line 74 of the Makefile there is a line that is commented out that has a reference to the -Bstatic flag. Uncomment this line and it should work. If that doesn't work, I'll try and get it compiled with anther gcc compiler.

Nathan

--

---

wolf...@g.ucla.edu

Oct 29, 2013, 10:20:49 PM10/29/13
to gnumap...@googlegroups.com, wolf...@g.ucla.edu
Thanks - after uncommenting line 74 it worked.