USB-to-UART adapter specifications

Carlos Prieto López

Jan 6, 2024, 2:25:39 AMJan 6
to GnuBee
Hi,

I'm looking for a USB-to-UART adapter for mi gnubee. I found one that specifies

FTDI FT232RL USB to UART TTL

it has two possible voltages: 3.3 and 5V, and two possible configurations, stated as follows:

Tip-TXD, Ring-RXD
Tip-RXD, Ring-TXD

Can anyone tell me if one of these is suitable for the gnubee?

Thanks in advance.

Miles Raymond

Jan 6, 2024, 11:01:12 PMJan 6
to GnuBee
Is this for the 3.5mm jack? You can also use the UART pins and plug into them directly. I believe only 3.3V is necessary, as the UART I use is only 3.3V.

Carlos Prieto López

Jan 7, 2024, 2:07:12 AMJan 7
to GnuBee
Yes, it is for the 3mm jack.

If I used the UART pins, what would be the connection order?

Thanks.

Miles Raymond

Jan 8, 2024, 3:28:41 PMJan 8
to GnuBee

The documentation is really spread out all over the place.
http://gnubee.org/USB_to_UART/README.html on the official site seems to be out of date
https://github.com/gnubee-git/GnuBee_Docs/tree/master/USB_to_UART seems to be the (newer) source for the site but still incomplete

GND is most important to connect, then using the settings 'Baud Rate: 57600 / Data Bits: 8 / Parity Control: NO / Stop Bits: 1 / Handshake: NO' to connect, connect the RX/TX of from the USB-serial adapter and see if you get any output, or swap the RX/TX and then see if you get any output.