Pi-hole working

antoine besnier

Mar 4, 2022, 6:23:15 AM3/4/22
to GnuBee
Hi All,

Sorry to keep posting, I recently dug up my gnubee, so I'll keep posting progress reports!

For info, pi-hole is working fine, but this requires a few teaks.

Installation can be done with the official installer:  (https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole)

During install, there will be a warning that platform could not be detected, and it will assume an i386 platform, which is fine.

However, Pi-Hole FTL will not work, as it was not built for mipsel architecture.

So head on to https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/compile/ for the instructions.

However, again! build will fail. You will see that all errors can be tracked down to the file src/static_assert.h:

#if defined(__x86_64__) || defined(__aarch64__)
#define ASSERT_SIZEOF(OBJECT, SIZE64, SIZE32, SIZEARM) \
        STATIC_ASSERT(OBJECT, SIZE64)
#elif defined(__i386__)
#define ASSERT_SIZEOF(OBJECT, SIZE64, SIZE32, SIZEARM) \
        STATIC_ASSERT(OBJECT, SIZE32)
#elif defined(__arm__)
#define ASSERT_SIZEOF(OBJECT, SIZE64, SIZE32, SIZEARM) \
        STATIC_ASSERT(OBJECT, SIZEARM)
#elif defined(__arm__)
#define ASSERT_SIZEOF(OBJECT, SIZE64, SIZE32, SIZEARM) \
        STATIC_ASSERT(OBJECT, SIZEARM)
#endif

you can spot that mips is obviously absent from this declaration. So you can remedy it by  replacing line 21 #elif defined(__i386__) by #elif defined(__i386__) || defined(__mips__), which is a fair assertation.

So now, you can run ./build.sh and ./build.sh install again, and that should work.

Even using it as a reverse DNS with unbound (https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/unbound/ works as expected.

Cheers
Antoine