RAID support

Shaminda Wijeratne

Aug 21, 2020, 2:47:14 AM8/21/20
to GnuBee
is this support raid 1,2, 5 ?

Brett Neumeier

Aug 21, 2020, 6:03:49 PM8/21/20
to Shaminda Wijeratne, GnuBee
On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 1:47 AM Shaminda Wijeratne <shami...@gmail.com> wrote:
is this support raid 1,2, 5 ?

Hi Shaminda,

The GnuBee does not include a hardware RAID controller, so RAID support depends on the userspace programs installed and the functionality built into the Linux kernel you're using.

I have debian installed, with a kernel that is essentially the same as in the firmware that Neil Brown created. My GnuBee has mdraid support for RAID levels 0, 1, 10, 4, 5, and 6.

RAID 2 is not supported by mdraid, and as far as I'm aware is generally considered obsolete.

--
Brett Neumeier (bneu...@gmail.com)

Shaminda Wijeratne

Aug 22, 2020, 1:13:27 AM8/22/20
to GnuBee
Dear Brett,
Thank you for your information, I am just planning to buy so comparing other NAS.

i am not an expert in Linux but manageable, Can I Manage this?

Can i Used Free NAS?

Thank you
Shaminda,

Luke Picciau

Aug 22, 2020, 4:51:01 AM8/22/20
to gnu...@googlegroups.com

Honestly if your use case involves RAID then the gnubee is probably not going to cut it. From my tests the device was just way too slow to get any kind of high speed transfer going. Its fine if you just want to use it to dump automated backups on but if you want any kind of responsive file access its way too slow and a regular x86 machine would be much better.

trave...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2020, 10:45:00 AM8/22/20
to GnuBee
I would not recommend the gnubee. Unfortunately the hardware is community supported, that is supported by unpaid volunteers. I can't say I'd personally recommend commercial NAS solutions like synology, they tend to be quite expensive.

You might consider just building a normal computer with a lot of SATA ports and installing the freeNAS operating system on it. I'm also keeping an eye on the "Helios 64" by Kobol as a low-power embedded NAS. Just about any computer can be a NAS with the right operating system installed on it, so I'd say you're probably better off not using weird poorly supported hardware like this. There are also some significant performance issues with it, and it's unclear if it's even possible for those issues to get fixed.

Shaminda Wijeratne

Aug 22, 2020, 4:20:46 PM8/22/20
to GnuBee
Thank you for all your honest reply