GNUBee PC-2 power consumption

Éloi Rivard

Dec 20, 2022, 11:58:31 AM12/20/22
to GnuBee
Hi,
I do not own a GNUBee device (yet). The comparative table on crowdsupply mention the idle power consumption of the GNUBee PC-1 (at 11.64 W) but the consumption for the PC-2 is "TBD".
I suppose it should not be very far from 12W but I would love to have a confirmation by a PC-2 owner or someone from GNUBee.

Thank you for your help

Jernej Jakob

Jan 18, 2023, 5:50:00 AM1/18/23
to Éloi Rivard, GnuBee
Depends entirely on the disks you have plugged in, I'd estimate that
the gnubee itself only uses a couple watts max, likely in the 1-2W
range. Look up the specs for the disks you intend to use, add the 5V
and 12V power consumptions together, and add all the disks together.
Look at the operating (write) power which is usually the 2nd largest
after the spin-up power. If you enable the "PUIS" (Power Up In Standby)
mode on all the disks, they will then only spin up one at a time
(staggered spin-up) when the kernel initializes them. Thus you won't
have the massive power draw when all the drives want to spin up at the
same time so you can use a smaller power supply.