Small Notice: Formation of Free Software Collective @ Murdoch Uni

Blair Vidakovich

Mar 1, 2020, 9:48:40 PM3/1/20

(I found the text on the FSF website to be really well-written, so I
used it in the application to my Uni's student union)

Declaration of the Formation of the Murdoch University Software Freedom
Collective

(Submitted for affiliation to the Murdoch University student union)

CLUB DEFINITION:

Free software is about having control over the technology we use in our
homes, schools and businesses, where computers work for our individual
and communal benefit, not for proprietary software which might seek to
restrict and monitor us. As our society grows more dependent on
computers, the software we run is of critical importance to securing the
future of a free society.

The Software Freedom Collective wants to secure freedom for computer
users by promoting the development and use of free (as in freedom)
software and documentation.

For anyone who loves Linux, BSD, and takes an interest in Open Source
software, this is the club for you!

CLUB ACTIVITIES:

FOSS = Free & Open Source Software

> Popularise Open Source software, and advocate for Software Freedom

> Run Linux & BSD installation and troubleshooting sessions

> Inform club members and the public of new FOSS

> Run hackathons

> We hope to attract speakers who can give keynotes and seminars on
> interesting and enlightening FOSS topics

> Distribute FOSS free of charge, like GIMP (https://www.gimp.org/),
> Blender (https://www.blender.org/), LibreOffice
> (https://www.libreoffice.org/), and advocate for alternative forms of
> social media, like Pleroma (https://pleroma.social/), and Mastodon
> (https://joinmastodon.org/).

We are queer friendly, actively anti-racist, anti-sexist, anti-ableist,
anti-misogynist and anti-transphobic.