European GNUstep Developer's Meeting

1 view
Skip to first unread message

h...@computer.org

unread,
May 7, 2007, 5:07:14 AM5/7/07
to
Hi all,

I think that I remember that during FOSDEM 2007 there came up the idea
to have a separate Developer's meeting between the FOSDEM events. And
it should be a GNUstep only meeting, so that we have enough time and
no conflicting talks/topics to discuss. I also remember that there was
a proposal for a Swiss Chalet to meet :-)

I think we already have a lot of interesting topics to dicuss:

* how to make/plan/verify new releases
* news on Cairo backend
* SimpleWebKit status, issues, missing parts in GNUstep Base and GUI
* Etoile
* how to attract new developers and users?
* organization for FOSDEM 2008 + participation in other OSS / Linux
events?
* how to handle ObjC-2.0 and new features of OS X 10.5?

What we need:

a) enough GSParticipants
b) a rough GSAgenda - formed by proposals for Team Decisions and
Status Presentations about Subprojects
c) a nice, central GSLocation with conference room, flipchart and a
beamer, great food, but affordable to everybody
d) a GSTimeInterval (I would assume that a weekend would be preferred
by the majority)

e.g. something like Sat 15:00 - Sun 15:00, so that you can come
earlier or depart later if interested to do e.g. hiking

e) GSSponsor(s) to support those with small budget

and ... we will have a lot of GSFun

I can volunteer to organize b)

For d) I suggest a timeframe before End of July (vacation time) or
beginning with September:
e.g.
A) 23./24. Jun
B) 30. Jun/1st. Jul
C) 14./15. Jul
D) 21./22. Jul
E) 15./16. Sept
F) 22./23. Sept
G) 29./30. Sept
H) later

Please share your preferences.

Best regards,
Nikolaus

Gerold Rupprecht

unread,
May 8, 2007, 8:45:39 AM5/8/07
to Discuss-gnustep

> _______________________________________________
> Discuss-gnustep mailing list
> Discuss...@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnustep
>
>

Hi all,

I suggest some time in September would be good. The peak tourist
season is June to August. We can get better rates in September and it
can still be fine weather-wise. What are your feelings / preferences?

I would like an idea of how many persons would be interested. I have a
lead on a chalet in France near St-Gervais les Bains (Bettex) that is
good for up to twelve persons. This is about one hour drive from
Geneva airport, mostly by autoroute.

Apparently the chalet also has ADSL internet access, although I did
not try it out.

I have rented this chalet in February 2007 and it cost me about 1000
EUR at the time (one week). I would expect we can split the costs. We
may eventually have the chalet earlier, say the Thursday beforehand,
and stay after as this is a private family chalet (ex colleague's
family).

The chalet has a great view towards the Mt. Blanc, with a large
terrace and in a tranquille setting. It has a modern kitchen and all
necessary appliances to make our own meals. There is a small shop
about 10 minutes away by car as well as restaurants and shops further
down in the valley.

The chalet has a large table able to seat 12 persons. We can see about
renting a projector and screen as needed (or can someone else bring
one. Idem for the flipchart. I can also bring my network printer and a
small network switch. Anything else?

If we are more than 12, I will see about other venues.

Easy Jet flies into Geneva, and I am willing to collect persons from
the airport in my car (break - seats five).

Please let me know of your interest, preferred dates, how you plan to
travel and any special needs. Try to give me two sets of dates, so I
can negotiate for the time period in case we have trouble finding a
mutually satisfactory date.

Note I am currently looking for another job, so I have some time and
energy to get on to organizing this in the immediate near future
(other offers always welcome).

Best regards,
--
Gerold Rupprecht
10 rue Louis-Curval
CH-1206 Geneva
Switzerland

Tel./Fax (41) 022 347 73 96

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML mail and Microsoft
attachments.
/\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around
the world.
Join the LPF: http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/ http://petition.eurolinux.org/

--
Gerold Rupprecht
10 rue Louis-Curval
CH-1206 Geneva
Switzerland

Tel./Fax (41) 022 347 73 96

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML mail and Microsoft
attachments.
/\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around
the world.
Join the LPF: http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/ http://petition.eurolinux.org/

Riccardo

unread,
May 8, 2007, 4:43:06 PM5/8/07
to h...@computer.org, discuss...@gnu.org
Hi,


On 2007-05-07 11:07:14 +0200 "h...@computer.org" <h...@computer.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think that I remember that during FOSDEM 2007 there came up the idea
> to have a separate Developer's meeting between the FOSDEM events. And
> it should be a GNUstep only meeting, so that we have enough time and
> no conflicting talks/topics to discuss. I also remember that there was
> a proposal for a Swiss Chalet to meet :-)

well, long time ago (2 years?) I had the AlpenStep proposal...
Switzerland was planned back then because Guerkan couldn't enter the
Schengen Area. Something near Lugano could have suited me, because I
could arrive there by motorbike in a reasonable time, so not to add
airplane costs.

> I think we already have a lot of interesting topics to dicuss:
>
> * how to make/plan/verify new releases
> * news on Cairo backend
> * SimpleWebKit status, issues, missing parts in GNUstep Base and GUI
> * Etoile
> * how to attract new developers and users?
> * organization for FOSDEM 2008 + participation in other OSS / Linux
> events?
> * how to handle ObjC-2.0 and new features of OS X 10.5?

You left out GAP !!!! I feel terribly offended. Generally I'd pull out
the question of Applications (both user-level as well as
developer-level).
I want to discuss windows stuff too...

> What we need:
>
> a) enough GSParticipants

I'd appreciate some NSCoreDevelopers. I understand that NSAdam or
NSGregory are far away, but the presence of NSNicolaPero or
NSRichardFM would be quite interesting, especially regarding the
release cycle, objc 2.0 and the "missing parts"
GSFredKiefer and GSAlexMalmberg would be good for the backend talk.

> b) a rough GSAgenda - formed by proposals for Team Decisions and
> Status Presentations about Subprojects

There is so much to talk about we need a GSPreMeeting to make the
GSAgenda :)

> c) a nice, central GSLocation with conference room, flipchart and a
> beamer, great food, but affordable to everybody

Switzerland suits the location for me, but it is not the cheapest
place in the world, although if some insider gives you a tip you can
get away with it. A place with at least some kind of internet
connection (at least a modem) would be very handy I guess.

> d) a GSTimeInterval (I would assume that a weekend would be preferred
> by the majority)

Yes. At the cost of taking a day off before or after, it would give
maximum flexibility.

> e.g. something like Sat 15:00 - Sun 15:00, so that you can come
> earlier or depart later if interested to do e.g. hiking

also leave out some time for talking about stuff off GSAgenda, I guess
some "subgroups" of similarly minded people could form (I think I'd
like to talk to core people, to GAP people and to Nikolaus.. other
might want to meet Etoile, etc)

> e) GSSponsor(s) to support those with small budget

that would be too nice to be true :)

> and ... we will have a lot of GSFun

some kind of GSHack instead of GSHike could be nice too.

> I can volunteer to organize b)
>
> For d) I suggest a timeframe before End of July (vacation time) or
> beginning with September:

Sept suits me: begins to be off-season and yet not rainy enough :)


Cheers,
Riccardo

Sašo Kiselkov

unread,
May 8, 2007, 4:54:44 PM5/8/07
to Riccardo, discuss...@gnu.org, h...@computer.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi

I'd definitely like to be there, as I missed FOSDEM this year - stupid
flights...

- --
Saso

> _______________________________________________
> Discuss-gnustep mailing list
> Discuss...@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnustep
>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFGQOOUakxhuWWzY78RAzx1AJ923cOEwd/jUvHkmHCwzhAYg5IScACdFgyd
5G5ab4ZBHFL+cN4+yig9e0w=
=uwRa
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


h...@computer.org

unread,
May 14, 2007, 2:42:35 AM5/14/07
to
No more opinions/wishes so far?

-> Gregory? Fred? Richard? Nicola?

h...@computer.org

unread,
May 14, 2007, 2:47:29 AM5/14/07
to
> I'd definitely like to be there, as I missed FOSDEM this year - stupid
> flights...

Depending on precise location of our meeting, I could imaginge about
driving there by car starting from Munich. So if it is easier for
someone to come to Munich first we can do car sharing.

Nikolaus

Fred Kiefer

unread,
May 14, 2007, 8:12:07 PM5/14/07
to h...@computer.org, discuss...@gnu.org
h...@computer.org wrote:
> No more opinions/wishes so far?
>
> -> Gregory? Fred? Richard? Nicola?
>

Oops, sorry for not replying earlier. I was travelling in England for a
few days and now after coming back I am loaded with other work to do.

But yes, I would love to have another GNUstep meeting this year. One
benefit from this could be a better integration of the summer of code
students. And seeing all these great people working on Etoile would also
be great, they were too busy during FOSDEM to talk to :-)

I would not mind to go to northern Italy, the food is so much better
there then in Switzerland. But the later is of course closer for me. And
the place in France that Gerold suggested sounds also nice.

Cheers,
Fred


Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller

unread,
May 15, 2007, 3:35:20 AM5/15/07
to Riccardo, Fred Kiefer, discuss...@gnu.org

Am 15.05.2007 um 08:41 schrieb Riccardo:

> Fred,
>
> you old scoundrel! Italian food, heh? Tortellini? Casoncelli?
> Salame nostrano? Taleggio?


>
> On 2007-05-15 02:12:07 +0200 Fred Kiefer <fredk...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I would not mind to go to northern Italy, the food is so much better
>> there then in Switzerland. But the later is of course closer for
>> me. And
>> the place in France that Gerold suggested sounds also nice.
>

> northern Italy is good for me too! The wine.... :) But as said, I
> can adapt to swiss Territory. After all Switzerland would be a bit
> neutral and also it is reasonably central between France, Italy,
> Germany...
>
> Since I'd very liek to meet also our dwellers of the UK, if they
> show intention to leave their Island (Richard? Nicola?) we should
> check that they have a good flight connection.
>
> There is one interesting point about Bergamo, where I live: it is
> the Ryanair hub of Northern Italy...

Well, Bergamo is approx. 100km less distant from Munich than Geneva,
so it is even easier to reach by car.

And as another option (although difficult to reach without car) I
would propose some nice spot in Südtirol/Alto Adige (many years ago I
was at Reinswald, Sarentino for a Conference Meeting - but I don't
know how it looks there nowadays). And September could be the Highest
Season there.

Nikolaus

Richard Frith-Macdonald

unread,
May 15, 2007, 3:42:07 AM5/15/07
to h...@computer.org, discuss...@gnu.org

On 14 May 2007, at 07:42, h...@computer.org wrote:

> No more opinions/wishes so far?
>
> -> Gregory? Fred? Richard? Nicola?

I've been canvassing opinion at home ... the problem is the lack of
holiday/time and the fact that I've already been away from home quite
a lot this year.
It's about 7 hour journey to get to a London airport , and when you
add in a couple of hours to clear security and get on a flight that
means its probably about a ten hour journey to get to any airport in
mainland europe. Effectively that means I lose a day travelling in
each direction :-(

What *might* be acceptable to my family would be if I could somehow
merge things with a family holiday this summer (we are thinking of
going to the Freiburg area for the 5-18 of August), but that's not
definite.

so, most likely, I can't make another meeting before FOSDEM next year.


Riccardo

unread,
May 15, 2007, 2:41:19 AM5/15/07
to Fred Kiefer, discuss...@gnu.org, h...@computer.org
Fred,

you old scoundrel! Italian food, heh? Tortellini? Casoncelli? Salame
nostrano? Taleggio?

On 2007-05-15 02:12:07 +0200 Fred Kiefer <fredk...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> I would not mind to go to northern Italy, the food is so much better
> there then in Switzerland. But the later is of course closer for me.
> And
> the place in France that Gerold suggested sounds also nice.

northern Italy is good for me too! The wine.... :) But as said, I can
adapt to swiss Territory. After all Switzerland would be a bit neutral
and also it is reasonably central between France, Italy, Germany...

Since I'd very liek to meet also our dwellers of the UK, if they show
intention to leave their Island (Richard? Nicola?) we should check
that they have a good flight connection.

There is one interesting point about Bergamo, where I live: it is the
Ryanair hub of Northern Italy...

Have fun,
Riccardo

MJ Ray

unread,
May 16, 2007, 4:30:37 AM5/16/07
to
Riccardo <ricc...@kaffe.org> wrote:
> Since I'd very liek to meet also our dwellers of the UK, if they show
> intention to leave their Island (Richard? Nicola?) we should check
> that they have a good flight connection.
>
> There is one interesting point about Bergamo, where I live: it is the
> Ryanair hub of Northern Italy...

Or you could give them a good land connection instead of expecting them
to shove more island-drowning CO2 directly into our skies. www.seat61.com
and whatever your favourite boat/coach/car site is.
--
MJ Ray - see/vidu http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Writing on koha, debian, sat TV, Kewstoke http://mjr.towers.org.uk/

Pete French

unread,
May 16, 2007, 9:07:33 AM5/16/07
to discuss...@gnu.org, m...@phonecoop.coop
> Or you could give them a good land connection instead of expecting them
> to shove more island-drowning CO2 directly into our skies. www.seat61.com
> and whatever your favourite boat/coach/car site is.

now thats a fab site! big fan of overlanding ... always gives you far more
of a sense of having acually been somewhere.

-bat.


h...@computer.org

unread,
May 21, 2007, 2:38:48 PM5/21/07
to
It looks like we have these proposals so far:

1. St-Gervais les Bains (Bettex) - chalet up to 12 persons
2. near Bergamo - location to be defined by requirements
3. Sarentino - to be verified

others? We should IMHO generate 5-6 different ones and then vote.

Nikolaus


Fred Kiefer

unread,
May 21, 2007, 3:42:43 PM5/21/07
to h...@computer.org, discuss...@gnu.org

Richard suggested something close to the Freiburg area. I am not sure
how realistic hos proposal is, but as it happens I live there. Of course
I could only accommodate a few of you in my place. The bad thing about
this proposal is that I wont get Italian food :-(

Cheers,
Fred

Riccardo

unread,
May 21, 2007, 4:08:22 PM5/21/07
to h...@computer.org, discuss...@gnu.org
Hi

On 2007-05-21 20:38:48 +0200 "h...@computer.org" <h...@computer.org>
wrote:


What happened to Switzerland? No one is capable of propsing something
there? It is neutral zone... not too distant from Freiburg and
Bergamo. Now if your matter is that Emmental is not as good as
Taleggio, then you are comparing Apples and Oranges :)

-Riccardo

Sas(o Kiselkov

unread,
May 21, 2007, 4:20:36 PM5/21/07
to Riccardo, discuss...@gnu.org, h...@computer.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

I basically don't really care, as long as it's at least a bit closer
than Brussels (i.e. more to the east). :-)

- --
Saso
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)


Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFGUf8TakxhuWWzY78RA4VLAJ0ZOdF79CDfmfq73Haq1o8myntu3ACeJoaI
j/5UkLPkmT5GYqbnJu1duEQ=
=1DYY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


h...@computer.org

unread,
May 22, 2007, 3:32:59 AM5/22/07
to
> What happened to Switzerland? No one is capable of propsing something
> there? It is neutral zone... not too distant from Freiburg and
> Bergamo. Now if your matter is that Emmental is not as good as
> Taleggio, then you are comparing Apples and Oranges :)

Well, it is nice there - but IMHO a little expensive... and in
September it might be peak season for Hiking.

Freiburg & Black Forest would be nice - and Fred, they most probably
have at least one Italian Restaurant there???

BTW: for how many participants do we plan? Currently it looks like:
Riccardo
Fred
Saso
Gerold
Richard - most probably not
Gregory - most probably not
+ myself
+ 2-3 still undecided

Who else?

Nikolaus

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf

unread,
May 22, 2007, 4:40:40 PM5/22/07
to h...@computer.org, discuss...@gnu.org

Although I am strictly seen not a GNUstep Developer I'd possibly be
interested (since you are nice people) but I have to see if time
permits ...


> Nikolaus

regards, Lars


Quentin Mathé

unread,
May 22, 2007, 6:38:05 PM5/22/07
to discuss...@gnu.org, h...@computer.org
Le 22 mai 07 à 09:32, h...@computer.org a écrit :

> BTW: for how many participants do we plan? Currently it looks like:
> Riccardo
> Fred
> Saso
> Gerold
> Richard - most probably not
> Gregory - most probably not
> + myself
> + 2-3 still undecided
>
> Who else?

Add myself too :-) Sorry to reply so late.

Cheers,
Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qma...@club-internet.fr

Gürkan Sengün

unread,
May 24, 2007, 9:52:32 AM5/24/07
to discuss...@gnu.org

me too!

Nicolas Roard

unread,
May 24, 2007, 11:45:10 AM5/24/07
to Quentin Mathé, h...@computer.org, discuss...@gnu.org
On 5/22/07, Quentin Mathé <gnustep...@club-internet.fr> wrote:
> Le 22 mai 07 à 09:32, h...@computer.org a écrit :
>
> > BTW: for how many participants do we plan? Currently it looks like:
> > Riccardo
> > Fred
> > Saso
> > Gerold
> > Richard - most probably not
> > Gregory - most probably not
> > + myself
> > + 2-3 still undecided
> >
> > Who else?
>
> Add myself too :-) Sorry to reply so late.
>
> Cheers,
> Quentin.

I'll probably come too.

--
Nicolas Roard


Roland Schwingel

unread,
May 24, 2007, 11:50:44 AM5/24/07
to discuss...@gnu.org
Hi...

discuss-gnustep-bounces+roland.schwingel=onevis...@gnu.org wrote on
24.05.2007 17:45:10:

> On 5/22/07, Quentin Mathé <gnustep...@club-internet.fr> wrote:
> > Le 22 mai 07 à 09:32, h...@computer.org a écrit :
> >
> > > BTW: for how many participants do we plan? Currently it looks like:
> > > Riccardo
> > > Fred
> > > Saso
> > > Gerold
> > > Richard - most probably not
> > > Gregory - most probably not
> > > + myself
> > > + 2-3 still undecided
> > >
> > > Who else?

Well, I am also not a core contributer to GNUstep, but also love it and
once would like to see you
personally and talk about the future of GNUstep... But my schedule is
quite full but if possible (and if I am
allowed from your side... :-) I would come, too.

Roland

h...@computer.org

unread,
May 25, 2007, 4:01:10 AM5/25/07
to
> Well, I am also not a core contributer to GNUstep, but also love it and
> once would like to see you
> personally and talk about the future of GNUstep... But my schedule is
> quite full but if possible (and if I am
> allowed from your side... :-) I would come, too.

Well, I would say: everybody who helps to develop (this does not mean
necessarily coding!) GNUstep is welcome.

So, if I have counted so far, we already are above 10 participants.
This is more than I had anticipated!

I think we should plan for something between 10 and 15, max. 20. And
invent some sort of registration, decide location and timing, make
frame agenda, etc. Still a lot of things to do...

-- hns

h...@computer.org

unread,
May 25, 2007, 2:39:57 PM5/25/07
to

Gerold Rupprecht

unread,
Jul 20, 2007, 8:42:05 AM7/20/07
to Fred Kiefer, Discuss-gnustep
On 2007-05-15 00:12:07 +0000 Fred Kiefer <fredk...@gmx.de> wrote:

> h...@computer.org wrote:
>> No more opinions/wishes so far?
>>
>> -> Gregory? Fred? Richard? Nicola?
>>
>

> Oops, sorry for not replying earlier. I was travelling in England for
> a
> few days and now after coming back I am loaded with other work to do.
>
> But yes, I would love to have another GNUstep meeting this year. One
> benefit from this could be a better integration of the summer of code
> students. And seeing all these great people working on Etoile would
> also
> be great, they were too busy during FOSDEM to talk to :-)
>

> I would not mind to go to northern Italy, the food is so much better
> there then in Switzerland. But the later is of course closer for me.
> And
> the place in France that Gerold suggested sounds also nice.
>

> Cheers,
> Fred


>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss-gnustep mailing list
> Discuss...@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnustep
>
>

Dear Fred and fellow GNUsteppers,

I have spoken with Niklaus Schaller this morning. We discussed
Alpenstep and fixing a date and place.

Niklaus will be presenting a paper at a four day conference in
Denmark. There is a strong possibility that he can make it for
Alpenstep at Les Marecottes on the weekend of September 1st. He has to
find out which day he presents and is still waiting for a reply before
giving a final answer. He suggests we go ahead with Les Marecottes for
the weekend Sept. 1-2.

Let's decide for the place and date for Alpenstep as soon as possible
so everyone can advance their preparations.

Fred, how are you for this date and place (Les Marecottes, September
1-2)?

Several of us think your presence will be very important. Can you
confirm your presence?

Gurkan and myself are confirmed.

Riccardo Mottola has tentatively confirmed (needs to confirm with his
work).

Can we get confirmations now for all others wishing to participate
(Gregory? Fred? Richard? Nicola?)

I need to know the following:
Number of persons in your travel group?
Estimated arrival date and time?
Length of stay?
Airport pickup?
Special needs?
Food allergies?

Note that Gurkan will bring a projector and two network switches. I
will bring two PC's and my NeXTstation.

We ask you to bring a network cable if required.

Remember to bring an electricity adapter for your computer if required.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

I will update the wiki page based on your feedback.

Sincerely,

Gerold

--
Gerold Rupprecht
10 rue Louis-Curval
CH-1206 Geneva
Switzerland

Tel./Fax (41) 022 347 73 96

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML mail and Microsoft
attachments.
/\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around
the world.
Join the LPF: http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/ http://petition.eurolinux.org/

Say no to OOXML -Microsoft's broken standard

h...@computer.org

unread,
Jul 23, 2007, 5:20:59 AM7/23/07
to
> Niklaus will be presenting a paper at a four day conference in
> Denmark. There is a strong possibility that he can make it for
> Alpenstep at Les Marecottes on the weekend of September 1st. He has to
> find out which day he presents and is still waiting for a reply before
> giving a final answer. He suggests we go ahead with Les Marecottes for

They have just updated the schedule:

http://mobiledevices.kom.aau.dk/team_and_organization/events/mobile_developer_days_2007/mdd07_program/

and I am scheduled for Friday morning - so I can leave Aalborg in the
evening.

> the weekend Sept. 1-2.

Agreed!

> I need to know the following:
> Number of persons in your travel group?

Count on me (my wife has to work and my daugther is with her Grand
parents).

> Estimated arrival date and time?

Friday - after Midnight.

I found an evening flight from Aalborg to Zurich and have to drive
approx. 3 hours after arrival - well, I could be much faster it there
weren't the Swiss speed limits on the highways :-)

If someone wants to get picked up at Zurich Airport on Friday late
evening, please contact me.

> Length of stay?

Departure on Sunday via Zurich to Germany (Stuttgart or Munich has
still to be decided).

> Airport pickup?

No - I drive from Munich to Zurich on Wednesday and can park my car
there.

> Special needs?

A good workshop and people who want to give GNUstep a real push!

Please have all a look at the tentative agenda on the Wiki.

> Food allergies?

Not yet :-)

> Note that Gurkan will bring a projector and two network switches. I
> will bring two PC's and my NeXTstation.

> Remember to bring an electricity adapter for your computer if required.

Yes, I remember that I did buy one at my last skiing stay in
Andermatt, Switzerland. Hm. Let's hope I find it :-)

Nikolaus

Fred Kiefer

unread,
Jul 23, 2007, 3:19:19 PM7/23/07
to Gerold Rupprecht, Discuss-gnustep
Gerold Rupprecht wrote:
>
> I have spoken with Niklaus Schaller this morning. We discussed Alpenstep
> and fixing a date and place.
>
> Niklaus will be presenting a paper at a four day conference in Denmark.
> There is a strong possibility that he can make it for Alpenstep at Les
> Marecottes on the weekend of September 1st. He has to find out which day
> he presents and is still waiting for a reply before giving a final
> answer. He suggests we go ahead with Les Marecottes for the weekend
> Sept. 1-2.
>
> Let's decide for the place and date for Alpenstep as soon as possible so
> everyone can advance their preparations.
>
> Fred, how are you for this date and place (Les Marecottes, September 1-2)?
>

Fine for me. I will have to move a personal date, but this should work.

> I need to know the following:
> Number of persons in your travel group?

TBC (need to ask my girl friend)

> Estimated arrival date and time?

TBC

> Length of stay?
TBC

> Airport pickup?
NO. I am currently thinking about meeting Nikolaus at the Zurich
airport, as this is easy to reach from Freiburg. But more likely I take
the train the whole way.

> Special needs?
> Food allergies?
No, but I am vegetarian. Does this count :-)


Looking forward to see many of you there in the Alpes.

Cheers,
Fred


Gerold Rupprecht

unread,
Jul 25, 2007, 3:16:51 AM7/25/07
to Fred Kiefer, Discuss-gnustep

Dear Fred,

I am glad you will be able to come. For the train you will want to
travel over Lausanne to Martigny if you travel straight through.

I want to introduce you to a vegetarian restaurant which is within
twenty minutes (flat) walking from where we are staying. I thought we
could reserve lunch there on Saturday/ Sunday. I have eaten there
before and found it really exceptionally good.

Are you ok with dairy products Fred? How is chocolate cake with you (
I am trying to organize a GNUStep cake for everyone) ?

Best wishes,

Quentin Mathé

unread,
Jul 25, 2007, 7:32:45 PM7/25/07
to Gerold Rupprecht, GNUstep Discuss
Le 20 juil. 07 à 14:42, Gerold Rupprecht a écrit :

> Dear Fred and fellow GNUsteppers,
>

> I have spoken with Niklaus Schaller this morning. We discussed
> Alpenstep and fixing a date and place.
>
> Niklaus will be presenting a paper at a four day conference in
> Denmark. There is a strong possibility that he can make it for
> Alpenstep at Les Marecottes on the weekend of September 1st. He has
> to find out which day he presents and is still waiting for a reply
> before giving a final answer. He suggests we go ahead with Les
> Marecottes for the weekend Sept. 1-2.
>
> Let's decide for the place and date for Alpenstep as soon as
> possible so everyone can advance their preparations.
>
> Fred, how are you for this date and place (Les Marecottes,
> September 1-2)?
>

> Several of us think your presence will be very important. Can you
> confirm your presence?
>
> Gurkan and myself are confirmed.
>
> Riccardo Mottola has tentatively confirmed (needs to confirm with
> his work).
>
> Can we get confirmations now for all others wishing to participate
> (Gregory? Fred? Richard? Nicola?)

I hope to come, but I'm not yet 100 % sure.

> I need to know the following:
> Number of persons in your travel group?

1

> Estimated arrival date and time?

> Length of stay?

I can adapt myself to other people choice.

> Airport pickup?

No, I will probably come by car or train.

> Special needs?
> Food allergies?

No.

> Note that Gurkan will bring a projector and two network switches. I
> will bring two PC's and my NeXTstation.
>

> We ask you to bring a network cable if required.
>

> Remember to bring an electricity adapter for your computer if
> required.

ok

Fred Kiefer

unread,
Jul 31, 2007, 6:51:58 PM7/31/07
to GNUstep Discuss
So who is going to come? Up to now I have seen Gerold, Quentin, Gürkan,
Nikolas and me. Riccardo wasn't sure, what is the current state?

I think, we need a few more participants to reach a critical mass. Six
may be enough, but I really would like to have more of the Etoile people
there to work together.

Cheers,
Fred

Jesse Ross

unread,
Jul 31, 2007, 7:19:42 PM7/31/07
to GNUstep Discuss
> I think, we need a few more participants to reach a critical mass. Six
> may be enough, but I really would like to have more of the Etoile
> people
> there to work together.

I'd love to be there... but I doubt anyone wants to sponsor a flight
ticket from the US :)

J.


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages