Alpenstep workshop proposal

Gerold Rupprecht

Jun 10, 2007, 6:39:41 PM6/10/07
to Discuss-gnustep, "Sengün, Gürkan"
Dear Gnusteppers,

I have made enquiries and have the following proposition for you:

Date: weekend of 1rst of September (Saturday to Sunday) (next available date would be weekend 29th of september)
Place: Les Marecottes, Valais Switzerland
Maps: http://www.marecottes.ch/images/acces/carte_suisse.gif
http://www.marecottes.ch/images/acces/plan.jpg
Hotel: http://www.hdm.ch/index-en.htm

Price:

I have a rate of 85 CHF per person with "demi pension" (breakfast and dinner) for workshop participants.

Currently there are 12 beds available, but extra accomodation can be arranged. There are several other bed and breakfasts, as well as competing hotels within walking distance, so if you want to bring your partner or family I am sure we can make arrangements.

The accomodation is shared, but definitely better than the youth hostel. There is one apartment with four beds, two rooms with double beds and two singles available at this time.

This is a family run small hotel, which is well kept. The food is simple but good (large buffet breakfast). The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the narrow gauge railway station. It has ADSL internet connection (wireless) available for us to use. The breakfast room (bright north east mountain view) will be available for our workshop.

The following webcam link gives you an idea of the view:
http://www.swisswebcams.ch/english/webcam_les_mar%E9cottes_(1923_les_marecottes)_1045527182.html

I have also found a vegetarian restaurant (macrobiotic) for those interested which is a twenty minute walk away (flat). This might be a good idea for lunch:
http://www.biohotels.info/e/15436/accomodation_bio

For those with partners that are interested in art, there is the Gianadda museum http://www.gianadda.ch/ in Martigny (thirty minutes by train) from the hotel. The exposition will be

Marc Chagall, Entre ciel et terre
6 July – 19 November 2007

They also have an automobile museum.

For those more outdoor oriented, there are lots of possibilities for hiking, canyoning as well as the train (goes to Chamonix). We will also be a ten minutes walk from a fantastic swimming pool and local zoo. Some photos are here:
http://www.marecottes.ch/galerie_sports.php

For the workshop, I can arrange extra electrical adapters (let me know what you need) and extension cords. Gürkan has offered to bring a network switch from the university. I am also willing to bring my flat screen and a machine (512 MB ram, 1.7 GHz cpu with 20 and 80 G disks for file serving and compiling).

Will we want a projector, flip chart, printer ?

I am willing to pick up anyone flying in to Geneva and take them with in our car (seats five - station wagon). I can also put up a guest either before or after in Geneva (my office has a large double bed).

For train travel the following site in english helps you choose your connections (2 hours from Geneva):
http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

This is the french speaking part of Switzerland, but many of us are good english speakers, so I think you will all feel welcome.

Looking forward to your feedback. Please advise at your earliest convenience how this looks for you and if you want me to book for you. There should be no problem for those who want to arrive friday evening.

I would like to be able to get back to the hotel by Wednesday or Thursday this week, so please get back to me at your earliest convenience.

I hope some good discussions and code can be worked on as well as having a good time. I expect the agenda will have to be set by the participants, preferably in advance.

I am also willing to see if we can have a gnustep cake invented so let me know if you have any food allergies so you are not disappointed.

Thanks for your interest.

--
Gerold Rupprecht
10 rue Louis-Curval

Tel./Fax (41) 022 347 73 96

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML mail and Microsoft attachments.
/\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the world.
Join the LPF: http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/ http://petition.eurolinux.org/

h...@computer.org

Jun 10, 2007, 11:51:22 PM6/10/07
On 11 Jun., 00:39, Gerold Rupprecht <gero...@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> I have made enquiries and have the following proposition for you:

Great!

> Date: weekend of 1rst of September (Saturday to Sunday) (next available date would be weekend 29th of september)

Hm. At the first weekend of Sept., I already attend a conference at
Aalborg University, so I would prefer any other weekend in September -
although weather is usually much colder and rainy at the end...

> Place: Les Marecottes, Valais Switzerland

At least at Google Maps it looks pretty nice!

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&q=CH-1923+Les+Marécottes+&sll=46.203122,7.250977&sspn=1.226085,2.90863&ie=UTF8&ll=46.106684,7.040691&spn=0.076765,0.181789&t=h&z=13&om=1

Distance by car from Munich is estimated to be 567 km which is still
ok for me.

> I hope some good discussions and code can be worked on as well as having a good time. I expect the agenda will have to be set by the participants, preferably in advance.

In case you have missed that we already have set up a Wiki page: the
current proposal is that approx. the first hour is used to collect
(additional) topics: http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/European_GNUstep_Developer%27s_Meeting

Since there is a need for rapid action we need to vote:

*** Please Vote ***
1. look at the GSLocation candidate list at:
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/European_GNUstep_Developer%27s_Meeting
2. post your preferred order (i.e. 2 / 5 / 4 or similar)
3. Since I think we can already confine the Time Interval to September
please post your preferred timing priorities (i.e. 1. / 8. / 15. /
22. / 29. for the Saturday)
*** Please Vote ***

my votes are:
GSLocation: 2 / 4 / 6
GSTimeInterval: 8. / 15. / 29. / 22. / 1. (Sept.)
Nikolaus

Fred Kiefer

Jun 11, 2007, 5:57:02 AM6/11/07
to discuss...@gnu.org

Thank you Gerold for bringing the European GNUstep developers meeting
one step ahead!

My vote is:

Location: 6 / 5 / 4 / 2
Time interval: currently all still fit equally well

What I would like to do during this workshop is work on the cairo
backend and get some introduction to Etoile code.

Cheers,
Fred

Graham J Lee

Jun 11, 2007, 8:05:14 PM6/11/07
to discuss...@gnu.org
\On 10 Jun 2007, at 23:39, Gerold Rupprecht wrote:

> Dear Gnusteppers,

> I have made enquiries and have the following proposition for you:
>

> Date: weekend of 1rst of September (Saturday to Sunday) (next
> available date would be weekend 29th of september)

> Place: Les Marecottes, Valais Switzerland

[...]
> Thanks for your interest.

I'm interested in going, but need to confirm with [newEmployers
legalArray] that I can still contribute copyright-assigned code. If
so I'd be interested in working on fixing holes in -base, and
anything interesting about GSWeb/SOPE sort of stuff ;-)

Cheers,
Graham.

Quentin Mathé

Jun 18, 2007, 6:04:36 PM6/18/07
to Gerold Rupprecht, GNUstep Discuss
Le 11 juin 07 à 00:39, Gerold Rupprecht a écrit :

> Dear Gnusteppers,
>
> I have made enquiries and have the following proposition for you:
>
> Date: weekend of 1rst of September (Saturday to Sunday) (next
> available date would be weekend 29th of september)
> Place: Les Marecottes, Valais Switzerland
> Maps: http://www.marecottes.ch/images/acces/carte_suisse.gif
> http://www.marecottes.ch/images/acces/plan.jpg
> Hotel: http://www.hdm.ch/index-en.htm

Looks nice :-)

> Price:
>
> I have a rate of 85 CHF per person with "demi pension" (breakfast
> and dinner) for workshop participants.

ok. That means 170 CHF for the two days right?

> For the workshop, I can arrange extra electrical adapters (let me
> know what you need) and extension cords. Gürkan has offered to
> bring a network switch from the university. I am also willing to
> bring my flat screen and a machine (512 MB ram, 1.7 GHz cpu with 20
> and 80 G disks for file serving and compiling).
>
> Will we want a projector, flip chart, printer ?

I think it would be useful.

Thanks Gerold,
Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qma...@club-internet.fr

Quentin Mathé

Jun 18, 2007, 6:07:58 PM6/18/07
to GNUstep Discuss
Le 11 juin 07 à 11:57, Fred Kiefer a écrit :

> h...@computer.org wrote:
>>
>> In case you have missed that we already have set up a Wiki page: the
>> current proposal is that approx. the first hour is used to collect
>> (additional) topics: http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/
>> European_GNUstep_Developer%27s_Meeting
>>
>> Since there is a need for rapid action we need to vote:
>>
>> *** Please Vote ***
>> 1. look at the GSLocation candidate list at:
>> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/European_GNUstep_Developer%
>> 27s_Meeting
>> 2. post your preferred order (i.e. 2 / 5 / 4 or similar)
>> 3. Since I think we can already confine the Time Interval to
>> September
>> please post your preferred timing priorities (i.e. 1. / 8. / 15. /
>> 22. / 29. for the Saturday)
>> *** Please Vote ***
>>
>> my votes are:
>> GSLocation: 2 / 4 / 6
>> GSTimeInterval: 8. / 15. / 29. / 22. / 1. (Sept.)
>> Nikolaus
>

> Thank you Gerold for bringing the European GNUstep developers meeting
> one step ahead!
>
> My vote is:
>
> Location: 6 / 5 / 4 / 2
> Time interval: currently all still fit equally well

My vote

Location: 6 or 1 / 5 / 4
Time interval: all fit well

> What I would like to do during this workshop is work on the cairo
> backend

On my side, I'm also interested in gnustep-gui recent and future
changes, objc 2 support and webkit stuff.

> and get some introduction to Etoile code.

I take note of this point.

Cheers,