Newbie Question: Huge file sizes

Sivart Llewhtarg

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
I recently installed GCC 2.95.2 in my user directory on a shell account.
Everything appeared to work OK until I noticed that the smallest of
programs seemed to compile to ~630k. The with the version on the box
[2.7.2.1], small programs typically compile to a much more reasonable
~12k. What did I do wrong? Or is it just not possible to install GCC as
a user?

Dan Nguyen

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
Sivart Llewhtarg <siv...@home.com> writes:

Make sure the program is dynamically linked. Using ldd on the
executable should list all dynamically linked library, if you get
"statically linked (ELF)" the additional size is due to having the
libraries built into the executable.

Some additional size maybe due to debugging information. Use the strip
program to get ride of that. Hope that helps.

--
Dan Nguyen | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
nguy...@msu.edu | everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.