Trouble converting unsigned long long to 'char' on armv7l

Ben Greear

Apr 17, 2015, 11:46:48 PM4/17/15
to help-gp...@gnu.org
I have an Ubuntu 14.04 system for arm7l (armhf), and I think
I have found a bug in the g++/gcc compiler.

I am expecting to see 'char c' below to end up as a negative number,
but as you can see, it does not. x86 system shows the negative number
as expected.

Anyone have any ideas for a work-around, or proper code if mine is
buggy?

greearb@build-imx6:~/git/btbits/server$ more test.cc
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
unsigned long long val = 0x8b;
char c = val;
printf("c: %d 0x%x\n", c, c);
return 0;
}
greearb@build-imx6:~/git/btbits/server$ g++ -o test test.cc
greearb@build-imx6:~/git/btbits/server$ ./test
c: 139 0x8b
greearb@build-imx6:~/git/btbits/server$

greearb@build-imx6:~/git/btbits/server$ g++ --version
g++ (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 4.8.2

On x86 system:

[greearb@ben-dt ~]$ g++ -o test test.cc
[greearb@ben-dt ~]$ ./test
c: -117 0xffffff8b

[greearb@ben-dt ~]$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.7.2 20121109 (Red Hat 4.7.2-8)

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <gre...@candelatech.com>