gcc 4.9.2 installation Mac OS X 10.7.5

jomar...@hotmail.com

Apr 7, 2015, 2:08:22 PM4/7/15
Hi

I'm not sure this is the right forum for these questions. It it is not, could someone point me to the right forum?

I'm trying to install the GNU compiler collection version 4.9.2(gcc-4.9.2) on an Intel Mac running 10.7.5 (Lion). I would like to first install not in the usual /usr/bin/... hierarchy. I've been reading the configuration instructions in https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html but there are a few optional directories that I don't fully understand. These are:

--with-local-prefix
--with-native-system-header
--with-gnu-as
--with-as
--with-gnu-ld
--with-ld
--with-libiconv-prefix

The description under --with-local-prefix reads:

"Specify the installation directory for local include files. The default is /usr/local. Specify this option if you want the compiler to search directory dirname/include for locally installed header files instead of /usr/local/include."

The description for other directories in the list above is similar.

What is not clear to me is whether after installation the new compiler will search this directory or the compiler that is compiling the new gcc will look for files there to build the updated compilers.

As I mentioned above, if this is not the right forum for this question, could someone point me to a better suited forum?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Jomar
(cross-posted to gnu.gcc and gnu.gcc.help)