CTRL and META keys on FreeBSD console

bazad

Nov 2, 2004, 1:33:50 AM11/2/04

I am running emacs from FreeBSD console and I noticed some keyboard
mappings problems.

I don't see these problems if I am running from xterm via ssh or on
emacs under X Windows.

Basically, I can't get Ctrl to work. For example, C-h i simply
deletes one character (Backspace) and then inserts i.

I can't use Alt key as well. When I press M-x I get nothing.

steve

Jul 19, 2021, 12:33:13 AM7/19/21
bazad <nob...@noreply.not> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am running emacs from FreeBSD console and I noticed some keyboard
> mappings problems.

I have not had problems with my keymaps in _years_! I am using Linux
5.12.14-s1-loft. There is an odd option that has popped up in the kernel
as of late. It is called the sparse keymap. I can't believe I saw that
again! It is tied into a force feedback device - disable this and use a
gameport!

Hasn't anyone written a TMS for these package managers yet? I imagine a
LTMS would be good for retraction. I know, I know, what database can we
currently trust...

I mean; first vgacon has no scrollback, I cannot for the life of me boot
the machine without the use of a "black magic" floppy disk, and now
they keys stopped working!

I was using the <super> key for hours before I realized it! I have to
less for scrollback. etc, etc....

This option turns off the full keymap and makes a small keymap. A sparse
keymap is nice for like a keypad or a iPhone.

> I don't see these problems if I am running from xterm via ssh or on
> emacs under X Windows.

Also check and make sure your terminfo database is up to date; this may
make a difference. Most of termcap is emulated by ncurses. The big
difference is in the tgoto realm and padding.

> Basically, I can't get Ctrl to work. For example, C-h i simply
> deletes one character (Backspace) and then inserts i.

Yes I lost my superkey when the kernel upgraded from v4 to v5. Is
security really that important for a desktop computer? I mean; a
password for your screensaver? Is it me or is the world a bit paranoid
right now?

> I can't use Alt key as well. When I press M-x I get nothing.

My M-f key is working fine.

Seriously try cat or vi at the command prompt. in linux we have a
program called showkeys - it sets an alarm and puts the keyboard into
``raw'' or dangerous mode (this means line at a time instead of
instant).

The following might help.

steve@loft:~/Desktop/reading$ cat < /dev/tty