Problem with VM on Aquamacs 3.2 and 3.3dev

Piet van Oostrum

Jun 16, 2016, 12:48:08 PM6/16/16
I was using VM (8.2.0b) on Aquamacs 3.0a on Mac OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite).
Because this Aquamacs version often has problems with Emacs startup
(it often hangs and doesn't react nor show its windows as described in
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.macintosh.osx/7238), I switched to
the development version (Aquamacs 3.3dev) which purports to solve that
problem.

However, I now have an annoying problem with VM. With the new
Aquamacs version, when I read an HMTL email (usually multipart/mixed),
the cursor jumps to the end of the message rather than to the beginning.
This only happens when I work from the VM Summary buffer (using the next
and previous keys n and p). When I work from the VM Presentation buffer
it works as desired.

HTML messages are handled with emacs-w3m (via vm-w3m) in my setup. Pure
ASCII messages work normally. So I wonder if something has changed in
emacs-w3m, or in the calling of external processes in general. I tried
to switch to Aquamacs 3.2, but it had the same problem.

I have now found a hack around this problem: I advice the
vm-next-message function to do a vm-beginning-of message at the end.
(defun show-beginning-of-message (func &rest r)
(save-selected-window
(apply func r)
(vm-beginning-of-message)))

(advice-add 'vm-next-message :around #'show-beginning-of-message)
cross-post, as these are on different news servers.

Anybody knows what is causing this problem?

--
Piet van Oostrum <pi...@vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

rene

Jun 19, 2016, 1:49:25 AM6/19/16
to viewma...@nongnu.org
Piet van Oostrum <piet@...> writes:

> However, I now have an annoying problem with VM. With the new
> Aquamacs version, when I read an HMTL email (usually multipart/mixed),
> the cursor jumps to the end of the message rather than to the beginning.
> This only happens when I work from the VM Summary buffer (using the next
> and previous keys n and p). When I work from the VM Presentation buffer
> it works as desired.

I've been running into the very same problem for a while now.

Using Debian8, Emacs25, emacs-w3m

> I have now found a hack around this problem: I advice the
> vm-next-message function to do a vm-beginning-of message at the end.

Thanks for this piece of code. It helps.

--
rene

Göran Uddeborg

Jul 22, 2016, 8:47:11 AM7/22/16
to viewma...@nongnu.org
Piet van Oostrum:
> However, I now have an annoying problem with VM. With the new
> Aquamacs version, when I read an HMTL email (usually multipart/mixed),
> the cursor jumps to the end of the message rather than to the beginning.
> This only happens when I work from the VM Summary buffer (using the next
> and previous keys n and p). When I work from the VM Presentation buffer
> it works as desired.

Thanks for digging into this, and suggesting a solution. The behviour
has irritated me too, but not enough for me to investigate. Until I
read your mail. (And a few weeks more had passed. :-))

I looked a bit into the possibility of catching the other cases too,
and run across a hook, vm-select-message-hook, that seemed to fit the
purpose. So what I have arrived to now is this quite simple code

(add-hook 'vm-select-message-hook
(lambda () (save-selected-window (vm-beginning-of-message))))

It appears to work as far as I can tell. It does also work for the
case when you move around in the summary buffer and hitting SPACE.

In case it matters, I'm using GNU Emacs 25.0.94.1 on Fedora Linux.

Fixing the underlying problem would of course be even better.

Göran Uddeborg

Jul 27, 2016, 10:32:23 AM7/27/16
to viewma...@nongnu.org
Göran Uddeborg:
> (add-hook 'vm-select-message-hook
> (lambda () (save-selected-window (vm-beginning-of-message))))

Hm, that seems to have an unintended side-effect, though. Whenever I
visit a virtual folder I've defined, it appears in the same window as
the window, frame in emacs terms, as the one I'm currently using.
Previously the virtual folder showed up in a new frame.