[VM] Displaying time in the current time zone?

1 view

Daniel Barrett

Jul 15, 2016, 11:09:33 AM7/15/16
to viewma...@nongnu.org, Daniel Barrett

Sometimes I receive email where the "Date:" header is relative to a
different time zone. For example, I am in the EDT timezone (-0400),
but a Date header might be in GMT (+0000):

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:15:42 +0000

VM displays this Date line literally, in GMT, which is confusing to
the user (me). Is there a way to force VM to display all times (in VM
buffers) in my current time zone?

Note: this timezone problem happens only for certain messages that I
receive from vzwpix.com (Verizon's outgoing email server for iPhone
users). In case it's relevant, here are the full Received headers
from one of these messages. Notice that all times are in the EDT time
zone except the first/lowest one from a Verizon server.

From: 61755...@vzwpix.com
To: myn...@example.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:15:42 +0000

I originally posted this question on Stack Exchange (see
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/245999/why-does-email-from-an-iphone-have-the-wrong-time-zone-in-the-date-field)
and someone suggested that my mail client (VM) might be doing the
wrong thing.

Thank you,
Dan

--
Dan Barrett
dbar...@blazemonger.com

Patrick P Murphy

Jul 15, 2016, 12:16:38 PM7/15/16
to Daniel Barrett, viewma...@nongnu.org
In article <22408.64674....@snorkack.blazemonger.com>, Daniel
Barrett <dbar...@blazemonger.com> writes:

> Sometimes I receive email where the "Date:" header is relative to a
> different time zone. For example, I am in the EDT timezone (-0400),
> but a Date header might be in GMT (+0000):

> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:15:42 +0000

I believe many (Microsoft) Exchange mail servers do this. Drives me
nuts.

> VM displays this Date line literally, in GMT, which is confusing to
> the user (me). Is there a way to force VM to display all times (in
> VM buffers) in my current time zone?

I remember looking at the issue some while ago but I didn't find an
easy fix. It's fairly clear that the mail clients others use at my
workplace will in fact do this.

So I'm also interested in a way of doing this. Adding a hook would be
one way, but my elisp skills are a tad rusty :-/

- Pat

--
Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D. https://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/
Info Services Site Manager NRAO Information Security Officer

Daniel Barrett

Jul 15, 2016, 12:34:49 PM7/15/16
On July 15, 2016, Patrick P Murphy wrote:
>It's fairly clear that the mail clients others use at my workplace
>will in fact do this.

I can confirm this. I "bucked" the problematic message from VM to
Microsoft Office 365 at my workplace, and Outlook displayed the
message's date/time in my local time zone.

--
Dan Barrett
dbar...@blazemonger.com