[VM] vm & bbdb

Michael

Apr 1, 2016, 7:25:31 PM4/1/16
to viewma...@nongnu.org
I am trying to start vm and I get this error:
Required feature 'bbdb-autoloads' was not provided

Is this a problem with vm or bbdb?
I am running Debian Testing, vm-8.2.0b, and bbdb v3

Thank you,
Mike

Uday Reddy

Apr 6, 2016, 11:01:45 PM4/6/16
to Michael, viewma...@nongnu.org
Most likely a problem with bbdb or your customizations. VM itself doesn't
know anything about bbdb.

Cheers,
Uday

Michael

Apr 7, 2016, 3:23:49 AM4/7/16
to viewma...@nongnu.org
* Uday Reddy <usr.vm...@gmail.com> [2016-04-07 04:01:28 +0100]:
Ok, thanks Uday.
This leads to another question.
With the newer vm and bbdb, what is required for bbdb to work with vm?
When I use gnus, bbdb works fine, so I don't know what different
customization to use for vm.
I've tried to use what I find via google, but obviously have something
wrong.

Thanks
Mike

Robert Marshall

Apr 7, 2016, 11:20:02 AM4/7/16
Your initial post suggests that you have a require of bbdb-autoloads, that
doesn't exist in bbdb 3. I have

(bbdb-initialize 'vm 'message 'gnus)

And I think that is more or less it!

Though I added

(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))
;; Make sure we look at every address in a message and not only the
;; first one
(setq bbdb-message-all-addresses t)
;; use ; on a message to invoke bbdb interactively
(add-hook
'vm-summary-mode-hook
(lambda ()
(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd ";") 'bbdb-mua-edit-field)))

to get some things back from what I was used to with bbdb 2

You might need to ensure that when you built bbdb, it found and built the
vm interface code.

Robert
--
Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm

Michael

Apr 9, 2016, 12:52:15 AM4/9/16
to vm
Robert, you were right. I use a couple different systems and it was
carried over. I had no idea that line was in my .vm :)
Thank you both for helping me. I am now able to start VM.
I've been on the maillist for some time, but am very much a newbie so
trying to learn as I go.

Mike