[VM] Sorting does not mark a folder as changed?

Daniel Barrett

Jan 17, 2016, 11:50:57 AM1/17/16
to viewma...@nongnu.org

Sorting a folder doesn't seem to count as a change to the folder in VM
8.2.0b.

1. Visit a VM folder.

2. Type "G" to sort the messages, and choose a sort that's different
from the current one.

3. The buffer's status bar doesn't get marked as changed: no "**" appears
in the lower left. Typing "S" to run vm-save-and-expunge-folder has no
effect. Closing and reopening the folder shows that the sort didn't
get saved.

I think the behavior was different when I ran Emacs 23 rather than 24.
Is this behavior configurable?

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Barrett
dbar...@blazemonger.com

Manuel Hermenegildo

Jan 17, 2016, 12:53:00 PM1/17/16
to Daniel Barrett, viewma...@nongnu.org

I think this is because it is not a physical change, i.e., a change
that will be reflected in the file if the buffer is saved. To perform
a physical change on the file you need to add C-u before the sorting
command. In this case, *if there is an actual rearrangement of
messages*, the buffer modified marker (*) will appear and when saving
the file will be modified. I also got a bit confused by this the first
time I ran into it, but it makes a lot if sense. Cheers, --Manuel

Daniel Barrett

Jan 17, 2016, 4:16:54 PM1/17/16
to manuel.he...@imdea.org, viewma...@nongnu.org
On January 17, 2016, Manuel Hermenegildo wrote:
>To perform a physical change on the file you need to add C-u before
>the sorting command.

Thanks, that works!

--
Dan Barrett