How to copy the text in the minibuffer

Decebal

Jan 15, 2009, 12:41:50 PM1/15/09
Sometimes I have some text in the minibuffer that I would like to
copy, to paste it somewhere else. Is this possible?

Harry Putnam

Jan 15, 2009, 1:49:51 PM1/15/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Decebal <CLDWes...@gmail.com> writes:

> Sometimes I have some text in the minibuffer that I would like to
> copy, to paste it somewhere else. Is this possible?

There may well be better answers but I often retrieve that sort of
stuff buy switching to *Messages* buffer where most stuff that appears
in minibuffer is also written and be copied normally.

That is AsteriskMessagesAsterisk (in case your mail client uses the
asterisks to make Messages bold)

Tassilo Horn

Jan 15, 2009, 1:52:09 PM1/15/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Decebal <CLDWes...@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> Sometimes I have some text in the minibuffer that I would like to
> copy, to paste it somewhere else. Is this possible?

Everything in the echo area of the minibuffer is accessible in the
*Messages* buffer.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Writing a newsreader isn't hard, any dwep can do it. And,
unfortunately, a lot of them does. Even worse, some of them works for

Drew Adams

Jan 15, 2009, 2:11:30 PM1/15/09
to Harry Putnam, help-gn...@gnu.org
> > Sometimes I have some text in the minibuffer that I would like to
> > copy, to paste it somewhere else. Is this possible?
>
> There may well be better answers but I often retrieve that sort of
> stuff buy switching to *Messages* buffer where most stuff that appears
> in minibuffer is also written and be copied normally.

There is likely some confusion here between the minibuffer and the echo area.
These two critters occupy the same space (but not at the same time).

The echo area is used only for output - messages to you from Emacs.

The minibuffer is used for input. Sometimes Emacs also puts an informational
message there to accompany your input - for example "[No match]" during input
completion.

You can copy text from the minibuffer in the normal way. (You can even copy text
from the minibuffer prompt, if you need to.)

You cannot copy text (messages) from the echo area. There is really no way for
you to "get into" the echo area - it is for output only. But, as Harry
indicated, you can copy the same message from buffer *Messages*, where it is
logged.

Leo

Jan 15, 2009, 8:53:39 PM1/15/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
On 2009-01-15 19:11 +0000, Drew Adams wrote:
>> > Sometimes I have some text in the minibuffer that I would like to
>> > copy, to paste it somewhere else. Is this possible?
>>
>> There may well be better answers but I often retrieve that sort of
>> stuff buy switching to *Messages* buffer where most stuff that appears
>> in minibuffer is also written and be copied normally.
>
> There is likely some confusion here between the minibuffer and the echo area.
> These two critters occupy the same space (but not at the same time).
>
> The echo area is used only for output - messages to you from Emacs.
>
> The minibuffer is used for input. Sometimes Emacs also puts an informational
> message there to accompany your input - for example "[No match]" during input
> completion.
>
> You can copy text from the minibuffer in the normal way. (You can even copy text
> from the minibuffer prompt, if you need to.)
>
> You cannot copy text (messages) from the echo area. There is really no way for
> you to "get into" the echo area - it is for output only. But, as Harry
> indicated, you can copy the same message from buffer *Messages*, where it is
> logged.

This is a precise description! Excellent.

--
.: Leo :. [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ] .: I use Emacs :.

Decebal

Jan 16, 2009, 5:43:43 AM1/16/09

I mend the echo area. (I was confused.) And I saw it reproduced in the
*Messages* buffer. Thanks.