greek fonts for emacs on linux

Micha Borrmann

Oct 20, 2009, 5:30:35 AM10/20/09
Hello,

I use emacs to type LaTeX documents. Sometimes I copy text with greek
letters to my own documents. It will be displayed fine on my aquamacs on
OS X. But on emacs (running on Debian or Ubuntu) I see only squares
instead of greek fonts. But there are greek fonts on my systems, because
webpages are displayed fine and in my vi the greek fonts are also
displayed. What could I do, to display greek fonts in my emacs on Linux?

Thanks for any helpful hints in advance

Micha

Andreas Politz

Oct 21, 2009, 2:40:35 AM10/21/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Micha Borrmann <usene...@mb.sy.gs> writes:

> Hello,

[...]

> What could I do, to display greek fonts in my emacs on Linux?
>
> Thanks for any helpful hints in advance
>
> Micha

(set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8-unix)

for a start.

-ap

Micha Borrmann

Oct 21, 2009, 4:30:58 AM10/21/09
Andreas Politz schrieb:
> Micha Borrmann <usene...@mb.sy.gs> writes:

>> What could I do, to display greek fonts in my emacs on Linux?

> (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8-unix)

thanks for that hint, but, it doesn't work. I set it in my .emacs but I
don't see the greek fonts :(

Andrew C. Suttles

Oct 21, 2009, 9:20:57 AM10/21/09
to Micha Borrmann, help-gn...@gnu.org

Micha,

You can set the frame font you are using in Emacs with "set-frame-font". If you
are a new user, type "c-h f" and then the name of this function to learn about
setting the proper font.

Andrew

Micha Borrmann

Oct 22, 2009, 4:53:16 AM10/22/09
Andrew C. Suttles schrieb:

> You can set the frame font you are using in Emacs with "set-frame-font". If you
> are a new user, type "c-h f" and then the name of this function to learn about
> setting the proper font.

thanks a lot. This was a helpful hint. But today I've forgot, which font
I was successfully using yesterday

Micha

Dave Love

Nov 1, 2009, 2:16:51 PM11/1/09
Micha Borrmann <usene...@mb.sy.gs> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use emacs to type LaTeX documents. Sometimes I copy text with greek
> letters to my own documents. It will be displayed fine on my aquamacs on
> OS X. But on emacs (running on Debian or Ubuntu) I see only squares
> instead of greek fonts.

I assume `linux' actually means GNU/Linux under X, not the Linux
console. I'm surprised you don't get Greek by default, but what happens
depends on your Emacs version, amongst other things.

Define a suitable fontset using the fonts you have -- see "Defining
Fontsets" in the manual -- or maybe use a sufficiently-comprehensive
single font, like iso10646 versions of misc-fixed. xfontsel(1) may be
helpful.