Rmail Can't find local mail

Duke

Sep 30, 2021, 4:28:33 PM9/30/21
On a Debian-based distro, I'm running:
GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2021-03-27, modified by Debian

Goy Gnu `mailutils' installed and working from a terminal.

I can't tell if emacs is using the gnu `movemail' utility or ots own built-in one.

However, I do know that it simply refuses to read ant file/directory that I tell it to in my Rmail section of .emacs. I've pointed it to:
~/mail/inbox
~/RMAIL
/var/mail/username

NO JOY! I know that there's mail in one of them, because it got there using `movemail' by hand, and then inhaling it into emacs as a regular file.

Can't figure it out! Hope somebody has got some clues for me. TIA

Duke

Oct 3, 2021, 10:42:45 PM10/3/21
It was a permission issue. Movemail needs to be able to write to the file that is designated as the "inbox".