[OT] "Edit with Emacs" extension misbehaving with FF 78.12.0esr?

Loris Bennett

Jul 19, 2021, 10:09:05 AM7/19/21

I used to use the "Edit wit Emacs" extension for Firefox to edit pages
of a Foswiki instance. Now, presumably after the last Firefox update to
78.12.0esr (on Debian 10.9), the little purple "edit" button no longer
appears at the bottom of the textarea which is displayed when one edits
a Foswiki page. The button does however appear below textareas of other
sites, such as Stackexchange or perlmonks.org.

Has anyone else come across this isssue? If so, is there a solution?

Cheers,

Loris

steve

Jul 22, 2021, 11:42:05 PM7/22/21
On 7/19/21 10:09 AM, Loris Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to use the "Edit wit Emacs" extension for Firefox to edit pages
> of a Foswiki instance. Now, presumably after the last Firefox update to
> 78.12.0esr (on Debian 10.9), the little purple "edit" button no longer
> appears at the bottom of the textarea which is displayed when one edits
> a Foswiki page. The button does however appear below textareas of other
> sites, such as Stackexchange or perlmonks.org.

I just tried the extension and it opens up the file manager. I have quit
debian. archlinux is really nice once you get used to it. Fedora is ok.

my guess is that the DXG XORG default directories are off.

I don't know about firefox extensions; this one sounds really neat. I
would go about using emacs in server mode. M-x start-server...

Loris Bennett

Jul 23, 2021, 1:18:47 AM7/23/21
steve <lo...@centurylink.net> writes:

> On 7/19/21 10:09 AM, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I used to use the "Edit wit Emacs" extension for Firefox to edit pages
>> of a Foswiki instance. Now, presumably after the last Firefox update to
>> 78.12.0esr (on Debian 10.9), the little purple "edit" button no longer
>> appears at the bottom of the textarea which is displayed when one edits
>> a Foswiki page. The button does however appear below textareas of other
>> sites, such as Stackexchange or perlmonks.org.
>
> I just tried the extension and it opens up the file manager.

That sounds a bit odd.

> I have quit
> debian. archlinux is really nice once you get used to it. Fedora is ok.

I have been using Debian happily for nearly 20 years. I'm not sure this
issue is serious enough to make me want to change - especially if other
distros also behave strangely with this extension

> my guess is that the DXG XORG default directories are off.

Where would I look to find out? And why would the extension work on
some web pages but not on others.

> I don't know about firefox extensions; this one sounds really neat.

I find it is very useful, particularly for editing wiki pages.

> I would go about using emacs in server mode. M-x start-server...

It relies on the package 'edit-server', rather than just using Emacs in
server mode.

Cheers,

Loris

Loris Bennett

Sep 21, 2021, 3:52:21 AM9/21/21
The problem turned out to be that the edit box was not recognised as
being a textarea, due to some JavaScript being activated. The solution
was to set the variable

SKIN

in my local preferences in Foswiki. I had to set it to something
defined by our wiki admins, but in general the skin just needs to
present the edit box as a simple textarea. Some skins will provide a
JS-based WYSIWYG-editor, others will provide what looks like a textarea,
but in fact still has some JS which prevents the plugin from recognising
it as a textarea.