raise frame no go

Leo

Dec 20, 2006, 8:06:51 PM12/20/06
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi there,

I want to use emacsclient to bring Emacs frame to the front. I tried
several functions including raise-frame, x-focus-frame etc, but none
of them worked. All they do is causing the Emacs frame to flash in the
taskbar. Any ideas?

This is tested in Gnome 2.16 in Fedora 6.
Emacs 23: 20061218.

--
Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com> (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

Juanma Barranquero

Dec 20, 2006, 8:17:43 PM12/20/06
to Leo, help-gn...@gnu.org
On 12/21/06, Leo <sdl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to use emacsclient to bring Emacs frame to the front. I tried
> several functions including raise-frame, x-focus-frame etc, but none
> of them worked.

I suppose you have `server-raise-frame' set to t (the default), and
are using something like:

emacsclient --eval "(raise-frame)"

> This is tested in Gnome 2.16 in Fedora 6.

Must be something with your window manager...

> Emacs 23: 20061218.

Have you tried with the CVS HEAD version (Emacs 22.0.92 right now)?

/L/e/k/t/u

Leo

Dec 20, 2006, 8:34:15 PM12/20/06
to help-gn...@gnu.org
* Juanma Barranquero (2006-12-21 02:17 +0100) said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> On 12/21/06, Leo <sdl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to use emacsclient to bring Emacs frame to the front. I tried
>> several functions including raise-frame, x-focus-frame etc, but none
>> of them worked.
>
> I suppose you have `server-raise-frame' set to t (the default),

Yes.

> and are using something like:
>
> emacsclient --eval "(raise-frame)"

Yes.

>> This is tested in Gnome 2.16 in Fedora 6.
>
> Must be something with your window manager...

It is the standard default window manager metacity. How does that
raise-frame work for Emacs with GTK+?

>> Emacs 23: 20061218.
>
> Have you tried with the CVS HEAD version (Emacs 22.0.92 right now)?

No. But I suspect it will also happen in 22.0.92.

> /L/e/k/t/u

Thank you for your help, Juanma.

Mathias Dahl

Jan 3, 2007, 8:34:48 PM1/3/07
Leo <sdl...@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to use emacsclient to bring Emacs frame to the front. I tried
> several functions including raise-frame, x-focus-frame etc, but none
> of them worked. All they do is causing the Emacs frame to flash in
> the taskbar. Any ideas?
>
> This is tested in Gnome 2.16 in Fedora 6.
> Emacs 23: 20061218.

I just wanted to mention that I have the same problem. Running CVS
Emacs as of 2007-01-1 under Mandriva GNU/Linux, using GNOME with its
Metacity window manager. What I do is this:

$ emacsclient -e "(my-function)"

and my-function is:

(defun my-function ()
(select-frame-set-input-focus (selected-frame)))

(well, of course it does more than that but...)

Up until today I haven't played with emacsclient under GNU/Linux. I
have just used gnuclient & friends under w32. I am currently coding a
small command/url/hatever launcher in Emacs, and the current behavior
is quite frustrating (when Emacs is not the topmost window).

I see this code in xterm.c:

XTframe_raise_lower (f, raise_flag)
FRAME_PTR f;
int raise_flag;
{
if (raise_flag)
{
/* The following code is needed for `raise-frame' to work on
some versions of metacity; see Window Manager
Specification/Extended Window Manager Hints at
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fwm_2dspec

However, on other versions (metacity 2.17.2-1.fc7), it
reportedly causes hangs when resizing frames. */

/* Lisp_Object frame;
const char *atom = "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW"; */

x_raise_frame (f);

/* XSETFRAME (frame, f);
Fx_send_client_event (frame, make_number (0), frame,
make_unibyte_string (atom, strlen (atom)),
make_number (32),
Fcons (make_number (1),
Fcons (make_number (time (NULL) * 1000),
Qnil))); */
}
else
x_lower_frame (f);
}

Is is that piece of code that fails? My version of metaciy is 2.16.1.

/Mathias

Leo

Jan 4, 2007, 12:22:10 AM1/4/07
to help-gn...@gnu.org
* Mathias Dahl (2007-01-04 02:34 +0100) said:

Thank you for confirming this bug. I have forwarded to pretest-bugs
list.