Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context" - what this mean?

Kamil Jońca

Dec 16, 2021, 4:40:04 AM12/16/21

I tried to configure gnus to read my work mail.
I configure the server, can read groups (= mail folders) to subscribe,
but when I try to enter into one group I got:

nnimap-parse-flags: Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context"
What can I do?
KJ

--
http://stopstopnop.pl/stop_stopnop.pl_o_nas.html

Loris Bennett

Dec 16, 2021, 5:01:33 AM12/16/21
Kamil Jońca <kjo...@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

> I tried to configure gnus to read my work mail.
> I configure the server, can read groups (= mail folders) to subscribe,
> but when I try to enter into one group I got:
>
> nnimap-parse-flags: Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context"
>
> What can I do?
> KJ

You probably do just have a '.' in the wrong place. Can you post your
nnimap settings?

Cheers,

Loris

Kamil Jońca

Dec 17, 2021, 5:01:03 AM12/17/21
"Loris Bennett" <loris....@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Kamil Jońca <kjo...@poczta.onet.pl> writes:
>
>> I tried to configure gnus to read my work mail.
>> I configure the server, can read groups (= mail folders) to subscribe,
>> but when I try to enter into one group I got:
>>
>> nnimap-parse-flags: Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context"
>>
>> What can I do?
>> KJ
>
> You probably do just have a '.' in the wrong place. Can you post your
> nnimap settings?

As I wrote in gnu.emacs.help
(https://groups.google.com/g/gnu.emacs.help/c/H4uf2g1XMWc/m/K3VLbtFVDAAJ)

Problem was (probably) with imap keywords - gnus does not like dot or
semicolon in imap keywords.

KJ

--
http://stopstopnop.pl/stop_stopnop.pl_o_nas.html

Loris Bennett

Dec 17, 2021, 5:36:33 AM12/17/21
I am glad you solved your problem, although I would be surprised if your
solution were the only one. I'm sure not everyone who uses GNUS with an
Outlook account runs a their own dovecot and can thus tweak the
configuration.

I'm no expert, but my guess would be that there is something you could
change in your gnus config, but we'll never know because you didn't
post it :-)

Kamil Jońca

Dec 17, 2021, 6:14:03 AM12/17/21
"Loris Bennett" <loris....@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Kamil Jońca <kjo...@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

>>> You probably do just have a '.' in the wrong place. Can you post your
>>> nnimap settings?
>>
>> As I wrote in gnu.emacs.help
>> (https://groups.google.com/g/gnu.emacs.help/c/H4uf2g1XMWc/m/K3VLbtFVDAAJ)
>>
>> Problem was (probably) with imap keywords - gnus does not like dot or
>> semicolon in imap keywords.
>
> I am glad you solved your problem, although I would be surprised if your
> solution were the only one. I'm sure not everyone who uses GNUS with an
> Outlook account runs a their own dovecot and can thus tweak the
> configuration.

Why do you think it was outlook account? This mail simply passes through
outlook servers.

And yes, this was "local copy" on my dovecot email server, so I was
ability to chceck it from "both sides" - server and client.

> I'm no expert, but my guess would be that there is something you could
> change in your gnus config, but we'll never know because you didn't
> post it :-)

except server definition, there were "no cofig"

(nnimap "dorsz"
(nnimap-address "dorsz.kjonca")
(nnimap-server-port 143)
(nnimap-authenticator cram-md5)
(nnimap-stream network))
(Yes, it is unencrypted because this is on the same machine)

--
http://wolnelektury.pl/wesprzyj/teraz/