Searching for non-ASCII strings

Loris Bennett

Apr 12, 2022, 3:58:39 AM4/12/22

How do I search with G G for non-ASCII strings?

If I search in a group for, say

schung

I get many hits, but with

Löschung

I don't get any.

Cheers,

Loris

issdr

Apr 14, 2022, 2:34:16 AM4/14/22
"Loris Bennett" wrote:

> How do I search with G G for non-ASCII strings?
>
> If I search in a group for, say
>
> schung
>
> I get many hits, but with
>
> Löschung
>
> I don't get any.

i performed a test on imap, by making the following change:

,----[ diff emacs.bak/lisp/gnus/gnus-search*.el ]
| 1108c1108
| < (t (nnimap-command "UID SEARCH %s" query)))))
| ---
| > (t (nnimap-command "UID SEARCH CHARSET UTF-8 %s" query)))))
`----

it seems to be working, but it might break something else, i don't know;
maybe somebody here can check that out and advise.

Loris Bennett

Apr 22, 2022, 2:04:35 AM4/22/22
I don't have any gnus-search*.el files, zipped or compiled. The string

UID SEARCH

does appear in the following:

/usr/share/emacs $ grep -r "UID SEARCH" *
grep: 27.1/lisp/net/imap.elc: binary file matches
grep: 27.1/lisp/gnus/nnimap.elc: binary file matches
grep: 27.1/lisp/gnus/nnir.elc: binary file matches

Looks like we have different versions.

issdr

Apr 22, 2022, 4:49:39 AM4/22/22
"Loris Bennett" wrote:

> does appear in the following:
>
> /usr/share/emacs $ grep -r "UID SEARCH" *
> grep: 27.1/lisp/net/imap.elc: binary file matches
> grep: 27.1/lisp/gnus/nnimap.elc: binary file matches
> grep: 27.1/lisp/gnus/nnir.elc: binary file matches

the .el of the last one *should* do it. totally untested; you could
modify it and make a load-file to see whether it works or not, before
making it permanent.

gnus-search.el seems pretty much new actually, think it was introduced
in 2020.