Stripping (multiple) 'Re:' when replying

Loris Bennett

Jul 30, 2020, 8:51:04 AM7/30/20

I am slightly plagued by email subjects which accumulate all sorts of
crud before the 'real' subject. Thus, if I send an email with the
following subject:

[ZEDAT HPC] Your HPC access has been set up

the user may, several months later, ask for some software to be
installed with the following subject:

Re: [ZEDAT HPC] Your HPC access has been set up

My setup does not add further 'Re's if the subject starts with one, but
the mail clients of other colleagues and of the user may do, so that at
some point the subject becomes something like:

Re: AW: Re: Aw: Re: Re: [ZEDAT HPC] Your HPC access has been set up

'AW' and 'Aw' being German versions of 'Re'.

Is there anything like the gnus-simplify-subject-functions that can be
applied to subjects in the message buffer when I reply?

Cheers,

Loris

PS Suggestions about how to get people to use subjects which actually
correspond to the contents of mails also welcome ;-)

Christian Barthel

Jul 30, 2020, 9:05:06 AM7/30/20
"Loris Bennett" <loris....@fu-berlin.de> writes:

[..]
> Is there anything like the gnus-simplify-subject-functions that can be
> applied to subjects in the message buffer when I reply?

You might have look at: `message-subject-re-regexp'.
The documentation[1] shows a very useful example:

(setq message-subject-re-regexp
(concat
"^[ \t]*"
"\\("
"\\("
"[Aa][Nn][Tt][Ww]\\.?\\|" ; antw
"[Aa][Ww]\\|" ; aw
"[Ff][Ww][Dd]?\\|" ; fwd
"[Oo][Dd][Pp]\\|" ; odp
"[Rr][Ee]\\|" ; re
"[Rr][\311\351][Ff]\\.?\\|" ; ref
"[Ss][Vv]" ; sv
"\\)"
"\\(\\[[0-9]*\\]\\)"
"*:[ \t]*"
"\\)"
"*[ \t]*"
))

<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/message.html>

> PS Suggestions about how to get people to use subjects which actually
> correspond to the contents of mails also welcome ;-)

I'd be interested in that as well.

--
Christian Barthel <b...@online.de>

Loris Bennett

Jul 30, 2020, 9:25:06 AM7/30/20
That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks!