Alternative for nnimap-list-pattern

Rud1ger Sch1erz

Nov 30, 2023, 4:34:22 PM11/30/23
Hi there,

for one of my email servers I just want to move vom POP to nnimap.

Connection to the mail server works, but the server then sends me my
complete home directory, every single file as a group, not just my mbox
(/var/mail/my_mbox).

In early versions of nnimap there was a variable nnimap-list-pattern
which contains a list groups in which I'm really interested, to omit the
other junk from those imap servers.

As I learned here: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2022-01/msg01693.html
that variable does not exist anymore in current gnus version.

Is there another way to filter groups from the nnimap server?

--
Tschau
Rüdiger

Gijs Hillenius

Dec 2, 2023, 2:49:07 AM12/2/23
Can you go into the *server* buffer, browse/open/enter your nnimap
server there, and find all of your imap folders?

Then you could select the folders you want in the *Group* buffer?

Rud1ger Sch1erz

Dec 2, 2023, 7:09:31 AM12/2/23
Gijs Hillenius <gi...@hillenius.net> writes:

> Can you go into the *server* buffer, browse/open/enter your nnimap
> server there, and find all of your imap folders?
>
> Then you could select the folders you want in the *Group* buffer?

Yes, beside INBOX, Trash, Sent I see the complete file tree of my home
directory at that server in the *server* buffer.

I can kill those `file' groups to not see them in the Group buffer.
However, it a file changes or get added, I get it offered again, which
is anoying.

--
Tschau
Rüdiger

Thomas Dupond

Dec 4, 2023, 11:48:17 AM12/4/23
I think Gijs is offering the correct solution however as you have seen,
nnimap can be quite finicky. I always had recurring issues with it.

Nowadays I use offlineimap to save the emails I want in a maildir format
and then use nnmaildir.

This is very reliable. I use it at work and had no issue at all in a year.
--
Thomas