rfc2047-encode-region: Invalid data for rfc2047 encoding (or Gnus' in-reply-to header)

Gijs Hillenius

Sep 4, 2020, 3:53:15 AM9/4/20

To my suprise, Gnus stopped me from editing and re-sending an email
(I'd forgotten to add an addressee in Cc).

The minibuffer said something like:

rfc2047-encode-region: Invalid data for rfc2047 encoding

("Peter "Lürmer\"'s" message of "Thu, 3 Sep 2020

Once I removed the ü in the above line, the mail was on its way.

Gnus will probably have a knob I can turn, to tell it to allow .. eh,
unicode?