Searching with G G for non-ASCII strings

Loris Bennett

Jan 27, 2022, 8:00:39 AM1/27/22

I would like to use G G to search for

Müller

with in a group, but this produces no results, despite there definitely
being messages from Müller.

How do I search for strings which contain non-ASCII characters?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Herr/Mr)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin Email loris....@fu-berlin.de

Gijs Hillenius

Jan 28, 2022, 2:30:04 AM1/28/22
On 27 January 2022 14:00 Loris Bennett, wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use G G to search for
>
> Müller
>
> with in a group, but this produces no results, despite there definitely
> being messages from Müller.
>
> How do I search for strings which contain non-ASCII characters?

You want to find only the Müller, and not the Muller?

I'm asking coz, when I use G G and ask for messages from Muller, I will
- also - get all the messages from Müller. And in the Gnus group where
messages from Müller go, there are no Mullers.

Loris Bennett

Jan 28, 2022, 3:02:13 AM1/28/22
Hi Gijs,
Actually I don't have any Mullers to distinguish from Müllers, so
looking for Muller would in this instance work for me. However there
are certainly cases where the difference will be more important. If I
want, say, to search for 'Öl', the German for 'oil', I don't want all
messages which contain the substring 'ol'.

Replacing 'ü' with 'u' seems fairly arbitrary to me. In practice, when
no umlauts are available, one would usually write 'ue'. And what do I
need to write to search for 'Gijs'?

Cheers,

Loris

issdr

Jan 28, 2022, 5:25:26 AM1/28/22
"Loris Bennett" wrote:

> How do I search for strings which contain non-ASCII characters?

did you try by prefixing G G with Ctrl+u?

Loris Bennett

Jan 28, 2022, 5:33:35 AM1/28/22
Following your suggestion I have now, but it does not make any
difference. No strings with umlauts are found.