how to correct (?) the article count on the nnimap inbox

Gijs Hillenius

Jul 20, 2023, 12:13:50 PM7/20/23
Hi!

A rather messy update on the imap server has impacted My Gnus inbox.

When I run gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic on the Inbox it shows
700417: nnimap+server:INBOX

When I run gnus-topic-catchup-articles, it goes to 0.

When I run gnus-group-get-new-news it will show 0.

But there is new unread mail in the INBOX. I will only see it because
the number increases at gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic

So I am losing track of new mail in the INBOX. Some mail I will only
find hours after delivery, having cycled thru g, c, M-g and restarting
gnus.

I've tried various things, including putting back a .newsrc-eld and
.newsrc-dribble from last week, and changing the numbers via
gnus-topic-edit-parameters:

,----
| ((modseq . "4645") (uidvalidity . "1689838942") (active 81 . 702488)
| (permanent-flags %Answered %Flagged %Draft %Deleted %Seen gnus-expire
| gnus-dormant gnus-score gnus-save gnus-download
| gnus-forward %*)
| (visible . t))
`----

I had the same with (only) one of the subfolders, which in the end I
"fixed" by simply deleting it. Recreating the same folder unfortunately
made the problem reappear, so I deleted it /forever/. Can't do that with
the inbox. Right?

I've checked ALL the other folders for some kind of unread messages that
are tallied into the count on the inbox.

If anybody has suggestions, thanks

Gijs

Thomas Dupond

Jul 24, 2023, 5:34:52 AM7/24/23
Hi Gijs,

Gijs Hillenius <gi...@hillenius.net> a écrit :
> A rather messy update on the imap server has impacted My Gnus inbox.
>
> When I run gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic on the Inbox it shows
> 700417: nnimap+server:INBOX
>
> When I run gnus-topic-catchup-articles, it goes to 0.
>
> When I run gnus-group-get-new-news it will show 0.
>
> But there is new unread mail in the INBOX.

I have also encountered this behaviour but my solution may not be the
best :(

To solve this I migrated to using offlineimap3 and nnmaildir in Gnus
and I have not had an issue since!

I configured offlineimap3 with the dedicated systemd services to fetch
mails every two minutes and it works like a charm.

I also use mairix and nnmairix to search for email and just rebuild
the database every time offlineimap3 fetches mail.

If I can help in setting this up by sharing my config I will no
problems.

Cheers,
--
Thomas

Gijs Hillenius

Jul 24, 2023, 8:44:51 AM7/24/23
On 20 July 2023 18:13 Gijs Hillenius, wrote:

> Hi!
>
> A rather messy update on the imap server has impacted My Gnus inbox.
>
> When I run gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic on the Inbox it shows
> 700417: nnimap+server:INBOX
>
> When I run gnus-topic-catchup-articles, it goes to 0.
>
> When I run gnus-group-get-new-news it will show 0.
>
> But there is new unread mail in the INBOX. I will only see it because
> the number increases at gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic
>
> So I am losing track of new mail in the INBOX. Some mail I will only
> find hours after delivery, having cycled thru g, c, M-g and restarting
> gnus.

After lots of others attempts to solve this, I fixed the INBOX article
count problem by recreating the account;

1) duplicate the server in the *Server* buffer (giving a different name)

2) adapt various settings in gnus.el, to use this new server

3) subscribe to all mailfolders (like for the other server)

4) close the other server

Thomas Dupond

Jul 24, 2023, 11:04:27 AM7/24/23
Gijs Hillenius <gi...@hillenius.net> a écrit :

> After lots of others attempts to solve this, I fixed the INBOX article
> count problem by recreating the account;
>
> 1) duplicate the server in the *Server* buffer (giving a different name)
>
> 2) adapt various settings in gnus.el, to use this new server
>
> 3) subscribe to all mailfolders (like for the other server)
>
> 4) close the other server

Nice, hope this works for you!

For me this issue kept coming back or others appeared like some
archived mails could not be found by IMAP search even when there, etc.
My config may not have been the cleanest one but I darn tried.

--
Thomas