Search finds no messages

Loris Bennett

Aug 8, 2023, 4:22:09 AM8/8/23

I have just upgraded my Debian system from 11 to 12 and now, when I try
to search within a group in the *Group* buffer with 'G G' I always get
an error like

Group nnselect:nnselect-87zg32gdj4.fsf contains no messages

even when I know that there are messages in the group and that some of
these contain the string I searched for. If I enter the group, messages
are displayed.

Does anyone know what the problems might be or at least where I should
start looking in order to debug the problem?

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.

Gijs Hillenius

Aug 8, 2023, 4:32:50 AM8/8/23
On 8 August 2023 10:22 Loris Bennett, wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just upgraded my Debian system from 11 to 12 and now, when I try
> to search within a group in the *Group* buffer with 'G G' I always get
> an error like
>
> Group nnselect:nnselect-87zg32gdj4.fsf contains no messages
>
> even when I know that there are messages in the group and that some of
> these contain the string I searched for. If I enter the group, messages
> are displayed.
>
> Does anyone know what the problems might be or at least where I should
> start looking in order to debug the problem?

Hello

We probably need more info. Did something else change ? What mail
backend are you using?

You suspect a link to Debian 12. Debian Bookworm comes with Emacs 28.2.
If you think that is it, how about going back to 27.1 ?

http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/emacs/

Loris Bennett

Aug 8, 2023, 5:07:53 AM8/8/23
Hi Gijs,

Gijs Hillenius <gi...@hillenius.net> writes:

> On 8 August 2023 10:22 Loris Bennett, wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just upgraded my Debian system from 11 to 12 and now, when I try
>> to search within a group in the *Group* buffer with 'G G' I always get
>> an error like
>>
>> Group nnselect:nnselect-87zg32gdj4.fsf contains no messages
>>
>> even when I know that there are messages in the group and that some of
>> these contain the string I searched for. If I enter the group, messages
>> are displayed.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the problems might be or at least where I should
>> start looking in order to debug the problem?
>
> Hello
>
> We probably need more info. Did something else change ?

Not that I am aware of, but that is a fairly major change :-)

> What mail
> backend are you using?

nnimap

but I also have the problem in the nntp groups, although with those I
seen the following in the *Messages* buffer:

nnselect-run: gnus-search-run-query on ((search-query-spec (query
. loris) (raw)) (search-group-spec (nntp:news.fu-berlin.de
gnu.emacs.gnus))) gave error (gnus-search-config-error
gnus-search-config-error No search engine configured for
nntp:news.fu-berlin.de)

Indeed there is no search engine configured for nntp:

(nntp "fu_news"
(nntp-address "news.fu-berlin.de")
(remove-prefix nntp)
(gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente"))

whereas for imap the search engine is configured

(nnimap "fu_exchange"
(nnir-search-engine imap)
(remove-prefix "nnimap")
(nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
(nnimap-record-commands t)
(nnimap-inbox INBOX)
(gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente"))

So it seems that for IMAP the search engine is configured but not
working and for NNTP it is just not configured.

> You suspect a link to Debian 12. Debian Bookworm comes with Emacs 28.2.
> If you think that is it, how about going back to 27.1 ?
>
> http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/emacs/

Well, before I go down that road I shall check whether the same problem
occurs on my other laptop, which is at work, but which I also updated
and which uses the same Emacs config.

Loris Bennett

Aug 11, 2023, 7:07:50 AM8/11/23
So it seems that the problem does not always occur. With a stripped
down configuration I now find the search still works for two private
email accounts, but not with my work account (Exchange), with which it
did previously work.

I am not aware that there has been a change with the email server at
work, so maybe the more recent version of Emacs/Gnus no longer tolerates
something it once did. Strange also that the actual newsgroups are also
affected.

So not (directly) an Emacs/Gnus issue.

Loris Bennett

Aug 11, 2023, 7:15:44 AM8/11/23
OK, so for the newsgroups I get this error:

nnselect-run: gnus-search-run-query on ((search-query-spec (query
. emacs) (raw)) (search-group-spec (nntp:news.fu-berlin.de comp.emacs)))
gave error (gnus-search-config-error gnus-search-config-error No search
engine configured for nntp:news.fu-berlin.de)

What should the search engine be for nntp?

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Herr/Mr)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin

Loris Bennett

Aug 16, 2023, 4:12:18 AM8/16/23
It seems that searching in NNTP groups probably never worked. I was
confusing them with mailing lists which I read as newsgroups.

However I have discovered that if I just have

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.fu-berlin.de"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
(quote
((nnimap "gmx"
(nnimap-stream tls)
(nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))
(nnimap "fu_exchange"
(nnimap-stream tls)
(nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")))))

then a search over a GMX folder will yield results as expected, but one
over an Exchange folder will always return no results. So it seems to
be some specific feature of the Exchange server. I'll check whether the
people responsible for Exchange know of any changes that might be
causing the issue.

Cheers,

Loris

Loris Bennett

Aug 16, 2023, 10:27:16 AM8/16/23
The Exchange server generates the following error when I attempt to
search via Gnus:

SEARCH CHARSET UTF-8 TEXT hpc,"R=""6487 NO [BADCHARSET (US-ASCII)] The
specified charset is not supported."

How can I change the charset Gnus uses for the search?

Cheers,

Loris