Re: ‘Reply’ vs ‘followup’

Alberto Luaces

Jul 10, 2020, 10:14:26 AM7/10/20
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Dmitry Alexandrov <d...@gnui.org> writes:

> Rafi Khan <ra...@rafikhan.io> wrote:
>> Alberto Luaces <alu...@udc.es> writes:
>> 1. I am using Gmail as the backend and received Dmitry Alexandrov's reply in my inbox, but for some reason your reply wasn't there.
>
> He have not addressed you for some reason, cf. ‘To’ and (absent) ‘Cc’ headers in his mail. While they are merely informational, they are usually true.

Yes, I tend to not send personal copies to avoid cluttering the inbox of
the addressees, because they are usually following the list, after all.

Another side effect is that you can inadvertently reply also personally
to those emails, so the conversation will not be registered on the list,
nor the other participants will see it.

To reply this way (for example, this very message) I just press "F", as
Dmitry explains.

--
Alberto

Adam Sjøgren

Jul 10, 2020, 11:28:33 AM7/10/20
to info-gnu...@gnu.org
Dmitry writes:

> As for ‘f’ and ‘F’, they do _not_ stay for ‘forwarding’, but for
> ‘following-up’. Contrary to what @as...@koldfront.dk have said [0],
> they are _not_ for posting to [news]group only,

This is what I wrote:

For newsgroups (e.g. Gmane) R sends to the author only, and F sends to
the group. (S W sends to both.)

For email, you can think of R in Gnus as "Reply", and F as "Reply All".

I don't understand how you get from that to '"F" is for newsgroups
only' - that is clearly not what I wrote.

Best regards,

Adam

--
"Well, you walk into the room like a camel and then Adam Sjøgren
you frown You put your eyes in your pocket an your as...@koldfront.dk

Rafi Khan

Jul 10, 2020, 8:27:32 PM7/10/20
to Dmitry Alexandrov, as...@koldfront.dk, info-gnu...@gnu.org

Hi,

Thank you for the thorough explanation. It has been very helpful.
> Then you have to mark newsgroups that are really mailing lists first. You can do that on one by one basis by setting ‘to-list’ parameter on them — Iʼve already explained how to do that [1], but really you want to mark all mail-to-news groups at once:
>
> (setq gnus-mailing-list-groups
> (rx bol (opt "nntp" (1+ nonl) ":") (or "gmane."
> "linux."
> "mozilla.")))
>
> Now you can use ‘f’ / ‘F’ instead of ‘S w’ / ‘S W’ just as intended.

Perfect, I've added those lines to my configuration. I think it is working properly now.

Thanks,
Rafi