Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Doug Harter

Oct 9, 2017, 2:19:26 AM10/9/17
to EMACS Lists

I am looking for some help with Upgrading Emacs. My current version is

GNU Emacs 23.3.1. EMacs is now up to 25.3 and has a different

directory structure. my .emacs has over 100 lines and doesn't run on

25.3 and I have one of my utilities which has been completely

rewritten on 25.3 and won't run on 23.3.1.

I have tried Googling updating Emacs and have not found any detailed

help on what to do. Could someone give me some help?

Paw Writer

Oct 9, 2017, 2:19:28 AM10/9/17
to EMACS Lists

I live in the Harrisburg, PA area.

Bastien Guerry

Oct 9, 2017, 3:48:42 AM10/9/17
to Doug Harter, EMACS Lists
Hi Doug,

I suggest trying to launch Emacs with this command:

~$ emacs -Q

then see if it starts okay.

If not, you probably need to reinstall GNU Emacs from scratch.

If yes, you can test your .emacs file by bisecting it: test the
first half and see if Emacs starts correctly, etc.

For detailed help on specific aspects of your configuration,
you need to give more details if you want someone to help.

Best,

--
Bastien

Paw Writer

Oct 9, 2017, 1:02:34 PM10/9/17
to EMACS Lists
I know I have to do that, I just think I need someone here with me to walk
me thru it. I already have 25.3 on my computer, in an Emacs1 directory, but
the directory structure is so different, I have so much in my .emacs, and I
need updated versions of many of the procedures and am not sure where to get
them all. That is why I specified where I live in this username (near
Harrisburg, PA). I have tried local computer shops, but nobody is that
familiar with Emacs.

Winston

Oct 9, 2017, 1:02:35 PM10/9/17
to gnu-emacs...@moderators.isc.org
"Doug Harter" <dough...@comcast.net> writes:
> I am looking for some help with Upgrading Emacs. My current version is
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1. EMacs is now up to 25.3 and has a different
> directory structure. my .emacs has over 100 lines and doesn't run on
> 25.3 and I have one of my utilities which has been completely
> rewritten on 25.3 and won't run on 23.3.1.

If your new Emacs will start without your ~/.emacs, you could insert the
contents of .emacs into *scratch* and execute it statement by statement
until something fails.

Is your .emacs mostly code you wrote, or is it all
(custom-set-variables, (custom-set-faces, and the like generated by
Emacs itself as a result of settings changes and such? If it's entirely
Emacs generated and now prevents Emacs from running, that's probably
worth a bug report.

As to changes that prevent Emacs from even starting, I vaguely recall
that
(rplaca (assq 27 universal-argument-map) ....

had that effect, because Emacs 24.4 no longer had a binding for ESC/27
there, but my memory could be wrong. Key and keymap changes you made
yourself directly in .emacs are probably a good place to look, though.

HTH,
-WBE

Arne Babenhauserheide

Oct 9, 2017, 5:23:40 PM10/9/17
to Paw Writer, EMACS Lists
Hi Paw,
Paw Writer <paww...@comcast.net> writes:
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1. EMacs is now up to 25.3 and has a different
> directory structure. my .emacs has over 100 lines and doesn't run on
> 25.3 and I have one of my utilities which has been completely
> rewritten on 25.3 and won't run on 23.3.1.

Could you post the error messages you get?
And also the messages you get when you call emacs as

emacs --debug-init

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

Paw Writer

Oct 10, 2017, 1:42:52 AM10/10/17
to Arne Babenhauserheide, EMACS Lists
See my follow up post

Sent from my iPhone

Oct 10, 2017, 8:29:20 AM10/10/17
to EMACS Lists
This should not be on the info (announce) list. Please continue this
on the help-gnu-emacs discussion list.